Has anyone heard of this type of Pool Enclosure I have? Starting to decay (Manufacturer should've realized metal and water don't mix)

jonwb1

Jan 30, 2018
Upland
Hi... Here in SoCal, we have a 16'x30' in-ground Metal pool enclosure that was designed for vinyl liners. 4' Shallow end with a steep drop off to a 10' Deep end. In 2010, it had rust forming around the skimmer intake with corroded stainless screws. I replaced those and did what I could to stop further rust.
I guess it's been spreading? :confused: Today, I noticed crumbling rust pockets on the opposite side above the water line. I can't get a good sense of how bad it is because it's behind the liner. The current liner is still in relatively good shape and I've lost no water despite the issue.

Has anyone come across these enclosures? I'm just wondering what I'm looking at in repairs once the current liner needs replacing? And if it's worth it? I assume rust is hard to tackle once it starts.

When you say enclosure I think of a pool cage that surrounds a pool area.

Are you referring to inground steel pool walls that are behind your liner?

The only way you are going to know what the situation is on your pool walls is to remove the liner and see. Be prepared that rust is like cancer and it may be in more areas then you expect.

Last edited:
"Are you referring to inground steel pool walls that are behind your liner?"

Yes, the whole container is made out of metal and can only be used with vinyl liners. No one I've talked to has come in contact with one of these. The only comment was that it would "do well in an earthquake".

Yes, the whole container is made out of metal and can only be used with vinyl liners. No one I've talked to has come in contact with one of these.
Back in the day, steel pools were good for 30 or more years. The jury is still out if the modern ones will do as well, but evenso, they should fare pretty well.

Rust, is the downfall eventually and if it's contained to a smaller area it can be fixed at the next liner replacement. If the rust is widespread and structural, then the walls need replacing but the 'repair' basically becomes a new build, plus the cost of removal.

Here's a steel build going on now. Wall assembly starts in post # 72.

Last edited:
Excellent! Thank you for this information. I had no idea they were still building these. In retrospect, I think mine is also steel-walled with a concrete base... probably near the 30 yr mark now. Either way I'm hoping it can be repaired when the next liner goes in.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.