Hardness test

DaHole

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2009
Hi all, I have a tf-100 test kit along with R 7062-7065 solutions as the add on. My question is around water hardness. I have two different sources of water at my house. An artesian well along with my house well. I want to see the best way to test water hardness between the two of them to see which is better to fill the pool with.

I know they both also have some iron content and would also like to see the difference between the two for that if I can. Yes I could take samples in and have them tested, but if I can do this with my kit, I would prefer that path.

Water hardness - calcium hardness or total alkalinity?
Just use a sample from each water source and test it for calcium hardness and total alkalinity.
Is your pool vinyl? You don't need calcium for vinyl.
I'm pretty sure you cannot test for metals using your TF-100. The mods here recommend taking a sample to the pool store to test for metals. That's the only thing they want you to have them test.

Thanks for the reply. I have tested the house well so I have baseline for that. It came back at 150-175 give the 25x6-7 drops. It was slightly blue at 6 drops and very blue at 7 so thinking about 160. How does this break down. I see talks about grains per gallon in other places. Is this 160 rating a per gallon considering the test is using a 10ml of water sample?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.