Hard water problem?

Apr 2, 2010
Hi I have been haveing to clean my swg cells about every two to three weeks due to hard water and it is getting a little old. Dose anyone know a way to get hard water out of the pool besides draining it or useing a reverse osmoses unit?

Thanks
Daniel

You shouldn't be having probems like that with your calcium level. While your calcium is on the high side, it's within the recommended range for plaster pools and it won't hurt your pool. If your pH is high and you have a lot of TA, you might be at increased risk of calcium problems. Keep your pH in the 7.4 area. If you have high TA, follow the Pool School instructions on Lowering Total Alkalinity to bring it down.
If that doesn't work, you don't have much option other than to replace some of the water. You need to find out what the CH level of your well water is before you start replacing. I'm about an hour SE of you, and rain gives me quite a bit of dilution over the winter to keep my TA low. No calcium problems here though.

I agree with John...if you get a good test kit and keep your PH below 7.8 at all times, calcium should not be an issue. My fill water CH is around 400 and I have yet to clean my intex cell in 2 years. I keep my PH at around 7.4-7.5 and TA around 70-80.

Ditto, what JohnT and dman2b said. Watch your CSI index and you should be fine. I wish my hardness was 320-350ppm. Mine at one time was 900ppm and permanently stained my plaster :(
No Bueno! :shock:

Thanks a lot, I belive that my problem is that my ph is to high. For a while I was staying on top of it and didn't notice this to be as much of a porblem when I was keeping the ph in check with Muratic acid. I checked my ph yesterday and I belive it was around 8-9. I will go out and get some more Muratic acid and Im sure that will help with having to cleen the swg cells so often. Thanks for all your help!

daniel

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.