Hard to turn Actuator. Seems to be binding/torquing, replaced everything still not working in one direction without force.

Apr 7, 2017
Livermore
Pentair actuator Valve initially now a 3rd party valve (which I've used in the past with success) going between filter and solar/heater(pool).. If it attempts to move to the solar side it starts clicking and looks like it's getting stuck it's torquing pretty bad. If I help it, It will finally make it's way to the solar side and will cleanly move back to the pool/heater side (so moving counter clockwise, it torques and has a real issue, clockwise, it moves along just fine.).

It almost seems like the diverter valve itself is not centered (been running for years just fine). it seems when I put the the valve cover on, it forces the valve to the left or right (not sure if that's normal, if the seal needs help, or should it be up against the wall of the diverter valve.. I've replaced all the components, except for the diverter valve plumbing (so tight, no extra pipe, doesn't look like fun).

I've cleaned, I've lubed.. Changed the valve actuator as well, same thing.. In manual mode without valve actuator just using the handle I can open close the valve by hand, but it's not easy (I have no reference on how hard it should be :)). I have 3 other valves that run just fine, this has run fine for years, but out of the blue the other actuator started clicking, so I bought a new one replaced it and it's binding, it can't electronically control the valve counterclockwise without it torquing/binding (you can see the entire actuator move).

Can't include a video link but here is what I'm hearing and seeing. Short and too the point :)

Have you pulled the diverter valve apart? Might be wise to have a rebuild kit for it prior to doing that. Does the diverter valve seal?

Have you pulled the diverter valve apart? Might be wise to have a rebuild kit for it prior to doing that. Does the diverter valve seal?

I've pulled it all apart; I've replaced every part except for the actual 3 way housing. It's not cams and if I can move it with my hand in manual mode (although it's not easy) , I'm not sure why the motor is having such a hard time. orings, lubed replaced the actual valve. I'm at a loss. Been running fine for years. I then heard some clicking as it reached the solar side, so I swapped out the valve actuator, thinking the other had finally died (now that I think about it, that was stupid (tossing the other away, since it may have been fine! )). I've checked out some videos (and let me get an image of what it looks like with everything apart and the gap that is there before putting on the cover, which forces the seal. <elevator music>......

Attachments

• Photo Sep 12, 15 41 44.jpg
    Photo Sep 12, 15 41 44.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Photo Sep 12, 15 41 50.jpg
    Photo Sep 12, 15 41 50.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 7
When the issue started, was anything done, changed, etc? My actuator stems get sticky sometimes and I lube them (take the top cover off and lubricate the oring), but that is all.

When the issue started, was anything done, changed, etc? My actuator stems get sticky sometimes and I lube them (take the top cover off and lubricate the oring), but that is all.

Not at all, nothing was touched nor changed in the recent months. Last update was my salt solar cell.. I'm at a loss, only thing I can think of is somehow the actual housing got heated up and distorted (not likely, not with the ABS it's made out of). It's been hot here (111), but while that's abnormal, it just doesn't seem to be a temp that would cause any type of warpage. hmmm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.