Hard Plumbing of AGP Done (w/ pics and parts list)

garrybunk said:
Looks great! And looks pretty easy to do. So your valves at the skimmer & return will stay in place through the winter? Is the Hayward Union missing in these photos? Or where is it? I'm confused what is special about the Hayward Union.

Do you think all the 90º elbows will restrict the flow any? Or would the difference be negligible? I've read of others using 45º's instead for that purpose, but I'm not sure how you'd even do that in your setup. Guess you won't really be able to test for flow & pressure 'til Spring.

Garry
Thanks, more info. for you:

1) My valves in the skimmer and return will NOT stay in place this year because I already tore down the original setup. No sense leaving them in this winter. As far as next winter, I will decide then. It depends on how I feel about the wear and tear of threading them with teflon tape and removing them each season vs. possible freeze problems with valves in place. Others here have said the valves in place are not a problem.

2) Hayward Union - Look closely at the pump, that union is black in color. I glued it to a short piece of 1 1/2" pipe to the first elbow. You can't see it because it doesn't need the "other half" of the union because the pump is that "other half". So, LOL, I guess you could call it a half union. That was an added cost but I hate those jumbo unions (see at the filter head).

3) I don't think 90 degree elbow would restrict flow too much, but I'm also not a plumber. I was running about 20 psi (on my gauge, all gauges are different) on my flex hose setup. If there is a significant increase I will certainly reconsider. Maybe one of the peeps here could let us know what a maximum resistance would be on a setup. I'll have to dig up my pump manual.

cramar said:
Looks great!

I think I saw a can of good ol' Canadian beer there. :goodjob:

Thanks and yep, that was the end of project treat smack in the middle. Had nowhere else to set it :lol:
My buddy, whom I sent the pics to, wrote back that he thought he saw a problem with the setup. I had "ice" between the pipes :hammer:

PS - Don't tell anyone I'm a Leafs fan also... maybe I won't be embarrassed this season. :oops:

Here's an Update to my setup ... I hooked it all up this year (first time using it) and NOT ONE leak (knock on wood)!!!
It is real quiet also, can't hear any water rushing through the pips and the flow seems real good at the return!! I'm mean, real good!!
So I don't think I have any restrictions with flow and the psi on the pump head says 22psi (about what it has been all along).

Love the overhead sprinkler.
We are in the process of adding a EcoSmart heater to our intex 16' sequoia. Think it is time to hard plumb. Have you had any experience with a setup for this. We have the intex sand filter with salt water filter which we love. Thanks

Re: Need help with AGP hard plumbing

BigT8600 said:
These are some pics of my fountain install. Just done the return side so far. You can basically use an elbow in place of where I used the T that goes to my fountain. Note that the middle part is a union that allows me to remove the pump from the pool. It screws together the two pieces and allows for easy disconnect. Valves on the return side are good so you can shut it off and remove the pump and piping from the pool even if the water is up. It can save you on water if you are just doing work on your filter.

ed63bf68.jpg

ca21bc09.jpg

look at the top connectors on these pipes. These connectors are 1.5" threaded connectors that let you screw into your return. You unscrew your current fitting for your hose connection off the back of the return. Replace it with this and glue your pipe into it to an elblow that goes down to your filter outlet. Make sure and use lots of teflon tape to prevent leaks! Tighten it real good with your hand, no need to use a wrench.
95a9d6de.jpg

Hi im new to TFP and me and my father just finished plumbing a 26' Intex AGP. but on the Fountain we were wondering what size holes that you used here in this picture. An also is there a concern with a pressure increase when adding the fountain. basically is there anything that should raise a redflag.

DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE on PVC THREADS! I just learned this the hard way when changing over my pool plumbing to hard PVC! See http://www.lascofittings.com/supportcenter/TheDosandDontsThreadedPlastic.asp a webpage from a PVC fitting manufacturer which explains the Do's and Don'ts of PVC Plumbing. You're supposed to use joint compound which is made for PVC fittings such as Oatey's Great White: http://www.oatey.com/products/threa...nts/great-white-pipe-joint-compound-with-ptfe. No matter how much Teflon tape I used on my return connection it leaked. Frustrated the $%@& out of me! Finally found that webpage, bought and used the Great White stuff, and the leak is gone (it dripped for a little while - probably while the compound was being pushed into the voids). It's been a month now and still no leaks.

I hope this information helps others!

-Garry

No we use 1 1/2" pvc Piping and glued everything :) . with pvc pipe glue http://www.lowes.com/pd_23467-138-31018 ... facetInfo= . out fountain is a not like the one above. but it comes straight up the leg of the pool and does a 90 deg angle into the pool and then 90 deg's to the right is going to extend 3ft and tie to another leg with a clear zip tie. The biggest concern is the size of the holes to drill for the fountain. that way I did not have to drill multiple times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
garrybunk said:
DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE on PVC THREADS! I just learned this the hard way when changing over my pool plumbing to hard PVC! See http://www.lascofittings.com/supportcenter/TheDosandDontsThreadedPlastic.asp a webpage from a PVC fitting manufacturer which explains the Do's and Don'ts of PVC Plumbing. You're supposed to use joint compound which is made for PVC fittings such as Oatey's Great White: http://www.oatey.com/products/threa...nts/great-white-pipe-joint-compound-with-ptfe. No matter how much Teflon tape I used on my return connection it leaked. Frustrated the $%@& out of me! Finally found that webpage, bought and used the Great White stuff, and the leak is gone (it dripped for a little while - probably while the compound was being pushed into the voids). It's been a month now and still no leaks.

-Garry

I used thread tape the last two seasons without problems, but thanks for the information as I don't want any problems! (especially while on vacation). I will look into this!

garrybunk said:

-Garry

Interesting. I've used teflon tape with no problems ever since my pool was installed back in 2005.

FWIW, I tried to view the lasco fittings link, and the website is down. I'll keep trying, as I would like to read why they don't recommend teflon tape.

Link works for me, but the basic reason is that pvc threaded fittings are tapered, on the male thread each successive thread is slightly larger than the preceding one. Therefore, overtightening or the use of teflon tape, puts more stress on the female threaded fitting which can cause it to split, this is more likely to occur on smaller fittings which is probably why you haven't had any issues so far, but to be on the safe side, don't overtighten, don't use teflon tape and don't use a lubricating type of thread sealant which would encourage overtightening. Only use thread sealant which is certified for threaded pvc fittings. (there are other do's and don'ts on the site, but those are the main ones).

PridgNYC said:
Link works for me, but the basic reason is that pvc threaded fittings are tapered, on the male thread each successive thread is slightly larger than the preceding one. Therefore, overtightening or the use of teflon tape, puts more stress on the female threaded fitting which can cause it to split, this is more likely to occur on smaller fittings which is probably why you haven't had any issues so far, but to be on the safe side, don't overtighten, don't use teflon tape and don't use a lubricating type of thread sealant which would encourage overtightening. Only use thread sealant which is certified for threaded pvc fittings. (there are other do's and don'ts on the site, but those are the main ones).

Makes sense...thank you. Just because teflon tape has worked for me doesn't mean problems down the road. I would like this setup to last quite awhile.

EDIT - Uh oh ...the Oatey's Great White says, "LUBRICATES and seals all threaded joints."
But I am figuring the "lubrication" with this is minimal (as it's specific to PVC threads) and the moral to this story is to not overtighten the threads.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.