Happy but Dumb Question: How is it clear when opened??

Aubade

Jul 27, 2017
New Jersey
I have a heated fiberglass pool with swg, 2 years old now. We still get the guys who built it to open and close it, then in between I take care of it using advice from this site.
I am happy to say that it was opened yesterday and was totally clear by the time I got home from work!

I'm so curious, what keeps it so nice over the winter without the filter running? Is it chemicals or maybe too cold for algae to grow??

The pool guy said we could swim in it as soon as we'd like. It is supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow and Thursday and the heater is on so I want to go in, but somehow it just seems unbelievable that I can! I had an above ground pool that my dad took care of when I was a kid and he always said we had to wait a while before we could go in. Maybe that's affected my perception.

I tested a few readings before work this morning, FC = 8.0, CC = 0, pH = 7.6 and CYA = 50. It definitely looked sparkling clear. I know the pool guy put chlorine in but he didn't give details. I think I probably also need a bit more CYA. But I don't need to slam it if it looks OK, right?

Is there anything I should be worried about or would you swim in it?

The only thing I'd be worried about is if the water is too cold. :paddle:

All of the above on ypur other questions. A good dose of chlorine, a cover and low water temps all combine to dramatically slow/stop algae growth and chlorine consumption.

No algae and clear water equals no slamming.

Awesome thanks!!

The timing couldn't be better - we had the worst March/April it seemed like it would never end. Now 2 days after my pool is opened its a heat wave! I just have to figure out how to get out of work early. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.