Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2019
Bremen, GA, 65 m west of Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a crappy little Intex 1000 gph pump and cartridge filter. I use an Orca reusable cartridge in it.

After my SLAM for white water mold, I now have lots of little particles in my pool. It's not cloudy per se, but they're noticeable when you're in the pool and look down.

Now I know my pump and filter aren't the greatest, but they're what I have until the thing craps out on me or I find a REALLY good deal on an upgrade. I know it'll take time to completely clear the water.

But would putting a hairnet over the cartridge help? Would it catch the fines and help clear the water faster? Or would it just slow down filtration and put too much stress on the pump?

A LOT of use the hair nets and they do just fine. You DO need to keep a very close eye on them to make sure they don't get overloaded. You can also put some polyfil (like you stuff pillows with) in the skimmer to help filter some as well.

would not put hairnets over the cartridge itself

:shock: GREAT catch Rob!!! OH my do NOT put the hair net over the cartridge. It should go inside skimmer basket. (Bad Kim!! MUST read carefully!!)

BUT if you are handy with a sewing machine I bet you could make something that could go over it BUT you really don't need to. The polyfill will do as good a job with a lot less work.

Kim:kim:

What's a really good deal in your mind?

The single cartridge filter is not enough for these pools. I fought with them for a long while, till we ended up with two cartridge filters (pool upgrades) and then I ran two of the darn things 24/7. And found this site, of course. Two worked on a 15' Intex but they had to run 24/7 and I was cleaning the cartridges near daily. That's a WET job, at minimum.

So, if $35 is within your budget, buy another filter. You can either cut holes and buy suction and return fittings, or do it the easy way and throw the hoses over the side and weigh them down. An advantage to this method is that it's simple, and will circulate water at the floor of the pool. A couple 1# hand weights bungie balled to the hose works for weight, but if you have a bat weight hanging around, those are the bomb.

I have some pics... I know this will be cumbersome, but I put these images on my server in 2013 and haven't looked at them in years. I'll put a couple specific urls here of what I'm talking about, and you can peruse the rest at your leisure.

All images from 15' Intex setup with two cartridge filters from 2013

Below is what I'm talking about, which you can do for ~$35-$40.
Main cartridge filter suspension
Hoses IN and OUT over the side
Hose weighted down
Bat weight for hoses
Second cartridge filter suspended

If $120 isn't out of your ballpark however, I'd check out Walmart and upgrade to the sand filter 1200gph combo. I actually have this very system running on my large 18x9x52" because it came with the pool and the used sand filter I have is gross still (smells badly of chloramine, still cleaning it). It's doing very well about 2w past opening. I'm pleasantly surprised. I have a larger filter that is not yet attached and figured I may need both but at this point I'm not sure. Although I do now have a through wall skimmer in addition to the 2 suction side inlets that came with the pool so I probably have to hook up both... hmmm
Intex 1200gph pump and sand filter - Walmart

Last edited:
Well, the question of hairnets is moot because I bought a sand filter pump combo from Pool Supply World off eBay. It was $124 for the complete setup. 30 gpm, 12 inches, good for pools up to 10K gallons. Mine is 4024 gal, so it's a good fit.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

You need 1 more adapter... but I got an extra. I could send it to you. I bought the pair for like $7 or $8 on amazon, but only need one.

It plugs into the bottom of the Hayward Skimmer, converts to Intex size. I got 1 skimmer, but two adapters.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.