hairline crack in psi gauge housing on filter...

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
I overtightened a new psi gauge at the top of my sand filter and now have a hairline crack. I was able to seal it for a couple weeks with some marine silicone I had at the house, but now the leak has found its way through the silicone. What should I use to seal this tiny crack in the plastic? I have some JB weld at the house, wondering if that'll bond to the plastic? Is there another epoxy, or sealant you guys would suggest to form a permanant bond with the plastic of the crack?

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Is it the filter housing, or the airbleed/gauge adaptor? I had a teeny dribble that I thought sure was the tank, and I was afraid to try tightening it anymore. Turns out a $13 gauge/bleed assembly fixed it just fine.

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
its the housing. I cracked the plastic on the outside of the threads by overtightening the actual gauge. I can clearly see the crack in the plastic.

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
What about next repair using a proper sized hose clamp around the gauge housing? I don't think you would have to tighten the hose clamp real hard, like you do on a radiator hose. Just slightly snug, I would think help hold the next repair in place.

And how about epoxy instead of silicone ?

X-PertPool

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
Exeter, PA
I repaired a couple of these this year on top mount Hayward sand filters. If you really need a pressure gauge insert the pressure gauge then seal around it with plastaid or ab putty. A stronger repair is to remove the gauge And use a threaded plug instead. Put plastaid on the threads and tighten plug til snug and deep then seal over entire plug with plastaid. I rarely look at gauges and judge pressure based on flow rate back to pool

Other Threads of Interest