Hair Care, Body Products, and Pee

May 24, 2011
North Central Texas
I couldn't come up with the proper area to put this in, so I hope it is okay here.

1. Hair Care: What do you do, if anything, to protect your hair from the chlorine. And vice versa, what do you do to protect or treat your pool from the hair products used.

I have seen a lot of recommendations to add a bit of oil (like coconut oil) to the hair and put it up in a bun while swimming. How much of this oil will come out in the water? I have also seen doing the same thing with conditioner. Will it just leave a film that the filter will eventually take care of?

2. Body Products: Any difference between using chemical vs physical sunscreens? What about the sprays? Just try to let them absorb first and no tanning oil? But what if I want to lay on my float and get slight tan? Will it be a film again? What about bug spray, etc.

3. Pee: I have to think about this realistically. Sorry. Our pool is a little over 5K gallons. Two adults at max. We do not have people over so no one else should ever be in the pool.

On a normal day... use the horrible ladder to get out of the pool, put on shoes and coverup, step over 2' fence, cross the backyard and climb the stairs, cross the house to bathroom, rrroooolllllll down swim bottoms, pee, wipe, rrrooolllll back up swim bottoms, wash hands, bacl across the house, down the stairs, across the yard, step over fence, remove coverup and shoes, climb the rickety ladder and return to pool. Repeat as necessary.

On an evening where multiple adult beverages are being consumed... Well, pee before you start drinking and get in the pool. Then hold it as long as you can. But there is going to come a time when I have to "break the seal" and even if I get out of the pool to do so, after that, I will probably be needing to go every 15-20 minutes or so. That's not going to work - I'll be spending just as much time out of the pool as in the pool. However, after a few of those "episodes", everything seems to go back into equilibrium and I am back up to the once an hour trip.

Besides the obvious yuck factor, what do I need to know to be prepared. Unless I had an infection, I know the urine will be sterile. I also know that the urea will be very dilluted, so 4 "beer pees" might have the same concentration as 1 "normal pee". I know it will use up a bit more chlorine, but other than watching all my levels closely and making sure my levels stay where they are supposed to, is there really anything else I should do?

:cheers:

jblauert said:
I can not help ... but I had to say that this was a pretty entertaining post.
:cheers:

ETA: Any bushes back there???? :mrgreen:

I grew up on 100 acres and we will be moving back there within the year. My sister and I were excellent at "squatting". Served us well in our high school and college party days. Party in the pasture? No problem? Long line for the bathroom? No problem, no one is in the front yard... and not many cars go down the street.... Porta Pottis full at Nascar? No problem, open up car door have husbands stand in opening (better yet when they have a blanket they can hold up) and you have your own private porta potti!

But alas, acre lots with only chainlink fence. No trees or shrubs of any kind, and too much cactus to risk losing your balance at night.

Glad the topic ammused you, as it is a funny one, but I am just being honest. I know it will happen. I've drank in the lake enough to know exactly how my body acts!

I hate to go in with a wet suit too. Someone here once posted that they tell everyone to get out, go over where the hose is, pee in the grass, wash it into the grass with the hose and rinse themselves off, then get back in the pool. This seems good to me, no rolling down of wet suits in the house just for a beer pee. Now, I see that you have no bushes or such, time to put up a screen of some sort I'd say.

As for the others, if I am slick with bug spray like after yard work I will rinse off. But if I've been working and sweating mostly what I am trying to rinse off is dirt. Sometimes I rinse and sometimes I don't, but my pool is big and not used much. In a small pool it may make a difference. I suspect you will see scum in the skimmer if you need to be rinsing.

I don't worry about my hair, it grows so fast I am more concerned with the roots showing grey than the color coming off the rest of it from chlorine.

danivdp said:
Well, if it's at night, can you squat *next* to the pool? You'd still have to deal with the rickety ladder, but then you wouldn't have to swim in your own pee, LOL.

If we can do some modifications to the ladder situation, I suspect that might be an option, but I would need to travel away from the pool to get out of the light. Then it would be trying to figure out if I could squat without peeing on myself, my shoes, or my swim bottoms, and keep the dogs from knocking me over or goosing me from behind. :wink:

In all honesty, we are going to think about the ladder situation. No real danger once you are on the pool side - if you fall, you fall into the pool. No biggie. If you fall on the other side, you either hit dirt or you land on the 2' tall fence which is just a few feet from the pool (yes, our dogs are behaved well enough that that is as high of a fence as we need to keep them from being able to touch the pool.) Maybe build some platform with deck steps and sit next to it. We are pretty good DIYers with a good supply of scrap metal and a welder.

anonapersona said:
I don't worry about my hair, it grows so fast I am more concerned with the roots showing grey than the color coming off the rest of it from chlorine.

Yep, getting those nasty greys myself now. Had a couple since my late teens, and it used to be that I could just pluck them, but now I think it might look like my hair was thinning if I plucked the greys daily. Looks like I am going to have to start dying my hair again.

I am wondering about a swim cap. Doing the oil and bun, then cover with a swim cap. When done, remove cap, and sleep with hair still up and oiled. I used to do that all the time anyway. If I could shower at night, I would't worry too much about it, but that doesn't work with my hair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the most hilarious post I've read here!!! :party:

No offense ladies ... my wife has the same issues ... heck - so do I !!! (BTW - my poison is Old Forester and water - I'm from Kentucky). After all the splashin' and such ... well ... I'm ready to go too!! Do you-all have a waterfall? I sure as heck don't !!

Anyway ... I'm glad that this wonderful site ... TFP ... is able to offer the opportunity for us all to discuss (almost) anything under the sun (or moon :whoot: ) and not feel ostracized. We're all family here !!!!!!!! :cheers:

Mike

This is exactly why we wound up putting in a bathroom right next to the pool. While I am not a beer drinker, my wife is, and she didn't want kids traipsing through the house wet to go potty. Me, I pee in the yard more than the toilet anyway, especially inebriated. I said I don't drink BEER! I drink vodka when I drink, seems more efficient!

Silly Rabbit----prepare yourself for old-er age now. Go to the pharmacy and get 3 men's urinal bottles, the kind with the closing cap, since you will have been drinking. Should get you thru the evening, and with any luck you should only have to climb one ladder rung to use them. Use the contents to fertilize a shrubbery, or to kill odd shapes in your neighbour's grass.

Word to the wise. Keep the full urinals at a judicious distance from your beer.

I got so many visuals (and real life memories) reading thru this thread I just lol'd :lol: :lol: :lol:

okay, lots of good ideas here :wink:

For hair and body products, given time, chlorine will break that down. You can also use a scum ball or scum bug in the skimmer to help soak it up.
Or if it's really bad, you can try an enzyme treatment, which will help the chlorine break it down more quickly.

Now, next: ::epds:: :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.