Hair-brained idea

eskewj

Jan 10, 2014
Harrisburg, NC
It's about time to close our pool for the season, and when I say "close the pool", I mean just no longer get into the water. We don't cover it, or worry about freezing in our area. Conventional wisdom to keep the pool balanced is pH should be around 7.6, reasoning that this is the pH of the human eye. However, with no humans using the pool until spring, I was wondering if perhaps I should bring the pH down to a more neutral level (towards 7.0), since this in my mind would be easier on the pool / pool equipment?

Thanks for any input!

Lower pH is more corrosive to metal. Tap water is usually in the 7.8 to 8.0 range for this reason. You do not want to lower your pH towards 7.0. Such "neutral" pH is not better, but actually worse, for metal corrosion. Also, for plaster pools (though yours is vinyl), the lower saturation index from the lower pH would tend to dissolve calcium carbonate from the plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.