Had to stop the SLAM due to rain - Do I need to lower PH or increase TA before resuming?

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I started a SLAM yesterday but I had to stop the SLAM due to rainy & windy weather. Before I started the SLAM, I lowered PH to around 7.2-7.4 and TA was at 50. I had to turn the pump off during the storm for about 10 hours because I was afraid leaves would clog the skimmer and damage the pump. An hour after I turned the pump back on, I tested the water, and it said that chlorine was 0, PH was 8.0, and TA is still at 50. Do I need to lower the PH or increase the alkalinity before resuming the SLAM? I've already decreased the PH twice and increased alkalinity once this week but I will do it again if needed.

How long did you run the pump before getting the water sample?

Rain does tend to raise the pH of your pool water. So test it again, and if you get the same result, lower the pH and add the chlorine.

Thanks! I ran the pump about an hour. If 1 hour is enough to get an accurate result, I'll lower PH again with some muriatic acid. I'm just glad that you tell me that I don't have to increase the TA too because I'm eager to start the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.