Gunite shell sprung a leak?

trophft

Well-known member
Jul 16, 2014
66
Port Neches, TX
After torential rains, there's a ton of water pooled up behind the bond beam wall...and now there's a small spring pouring out through the gunite shell...cause for concern?

20200527_194650.jpg

There is a leak under the return stub, which makes sense, but the one in the far corner is just straight through the bond beam...



20200527_194015.jpg
 
Last edited:

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
17,888
Bedford, TX
T,

The plaster is what makes the gunite waterproof, but the real key is that once you get water into your pool the ground water pressure will be offset by the water in the pool.. At least in theory...

Most plaster installers will not install the plaster until the gunite is dry.. In most cases, this happens a few days after the rain has dried up.

In some cases, the ground water has to be channeled around the pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.
 

trophft

Well-known member
Jul 16, 2014
66
Port Neches, TX
T,

The plaster is what makes the gunite waterproof, but the real key is that once you get water into your pool the ground water pressure will be offset by the water in the pool.. At least in theory...

Most plaster installers will not install the plaster until the gunite is dry.. In most cases, this happens a few days after the rain has dried up.

In some cases, the ground water has to be channeled around the pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,
I also figured once they backfill that void behind the bond beam (that was the ramp they used for the bobcat), then there won't be a massive lake there (so less pressure), it will just be a normal amount of saturated groundwater, and less likely to push through...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jimrahbe

trophft

Well-known member
Jul 16, 2014
66
Port Neches, TX
Not a huge deal. Just make sure the shell is bone dry before plaster. Amy wet spots will mottled the plaster and you wont be happy. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise send them away if they show up to plaster
Jimmy,
PB just emailed and said they are holding off on tile/coping and will try to knock out long plumb and electrical next couple weeks while waiting for dryer conditions, so that's good. I told him we'd rather be patient and wait for favorable conditions for each phase, rather than rush and screw something up! He's got a few other customer's in our area that are pressuring him to "reach the finish line" on their project ASAP...not us, slow and steady wins this race.