Gunite delay --> "Flashing" a pool?

pjt

Gold Supporter
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
We have a delay while awaiting gunite. The PB had the pool flashed with gunite or concrete. Anything I should know? Will this affect the quality of the gunite when it's eventually poured?

Jimmie48

Dec 13, 2019
Frisco, TX
I think the flashing is done just to maintain the integrity of the underlying dirt so you dont have issues of cave in or rebar moving. I have seen it done on some builds with no issue. I will let the construction guys comment as I am certainly not an expert on the matter but just giving my 2c

Tegguy

Oct 27, 2019
Winter Garden FL
We had this done (the gunite company actually did it without us even asking) on our pool when a hurricane was approaching. They put a very light skim coat on the dirt to lock it into place and prevent cavein's or collapses.

Whiskeyfox

Jun 24, 2020
Houston, TX
Shouldn't be any problem and it will help with the storms coming. How long was your gunite delay and when are you expecting it now? We had a 2 week delay. Huge relief today

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
They flashed my hole cause my walls wouldn’t hold back. Pics in my thread. Best money spent to save us. It was like adding a candy wheel to ice cream. Lol.

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
No problems at all. It's just fill material like adding stone etc. The shell will still be a monolithic spray of gunite the walls dont need to adhere to anything they are structural in their own right

Reactions: pjt