Guidance Requested - Cloudy Water

woodhout

Aug 3, 2020
Memphis, TN
Bought a house with established, in-ground pool (details in my signature below). Pool was crystal clear and immaculate. First week, I went to the pool store for a water test and found CYA to be around 250 due to prior owner using Clorox trichlor tabs. I was advised to get my CYA down by draining, which seems consistent with this forum. I was advised to not try to address anything, including chlorine, while I continued to do drains of about 15% of the pool volume over the course of the next two weeks. FC eventually got down to around 1 or less.

About 4 days ago, I saw a few yellow-green patches of color in the deep end of the pool. My Dolphin Supreme M4 easily cleaned those. The next day, and each day since (including today), the water has become cloudy with a slightly green tint. Up until this afternoon, I could still see the drains in the deep end from the surface. I couldn't see any patches of yellowish-green.

I now have the TFP test kit with the below readings and implore your guidance! I think I should start SLAM. However, I know from the pool store tests that my phosphate is high (+1,700) since the pool is filled with city drinking water that contains phosphates. Should I consider algaecide and/or phosphate remover, either now or at a point in the future?

FC 7.5
CC 0.0
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 375
CYA 60

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process.
There is no need to add any pool store potions for phosphates. They really do not matter. Algaecide is another product that is of no use for your issue.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: woodhout
As long as you can see the bottom of the pool, and FC is above minimum and at or below SLAM level, it is safe to swim.
You can run the robot. Wash it off with Fresh water when it is done.

Reactions: woodhout
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.