Joe Elliott

Jun 8, 2020
Atlanta GA
New to TFP. Doing some research on a coping repair and ran across y'all.
Have an inground gunite pool that we renovated about 16 years ago...located in Atlanta GA.
While in the process of replacing my expansion joint, I discovered a loose coping stone along with a few areas where the mortar/grout was crumbled.
In these areas, I have "cleaned out" the old mortar with an angle grinder and am ready to "reset" the stone and "regrout" or remortar" around this stone and the other areas. See first 3 attached pics.
QUESTION #1 - What would you recommend that I use? ...portland cement? ...grout? ...latex fortified? ...something else?

QUESTION #2 - In many other areas of the coping, whiles the grout seam itself is intact, there are hairline cracks between the stone and the grout. Any recommendations on "filling" those? ...then sealing the coping? See last pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    584.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    494.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: gunnilstam
I am facing the exact same issue with my 70s pool - thanks for the tip on S Mortar. Is there any consideration when applying mortar to the Inside pool wall where the tile line should go? I need new tiles after I m done;) Joe good luck and let us know how that project goes.
Lars

I am facing the exact same issue with my 70s pool - thanks for the tip on S Mortar. Is there any consideration when applying mortar to the Inside pool wall where the tile line should go? I need new tiles after I m done;) Joe good luck and let us know how that project goes.
Lars

Lars, If you are attaching tiles you should use thinset. Either

or

Reactions: gunnilstam
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.