Guestimate on how much bleach/chlorine usage?

h2oluver

Mar 26, 2015
Tulsa/Oklahoma
I realize that there are several factors that play in here, but I'm wondering about how much bleach liquid chlorine I can expect to use over the course of the summer season? Let's assume my ph, alk, cy, etc are all acceptable levels, and I don't end up getting any algae outbreaks. I'm curious as to what you think a 22k gallon pool here in Oklahoma, would consume bleach/chlorine wise? Reason I'm asking is there is a sale at the local Atwoods on bleach (5.25%) .99 gallon, and chlorine (10%) 2.99 gallon. I wanted to stock up.

Skitch

May 11, 2015
Athens, Georgia
There's a Pool Math calculator on Trouble Free Pools that will tell you how much chlorine you need at this moment.

I believe the consensus is somewhere around 2ppm every day. In your pool I'm guessing that would be about a gallon of your 5.25% bleach.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Depending on how many days your summer is. Multiplying the number of days by the amount of bleach you use each day will give you a ball park number.
However, I wouldn't stock up too much in advance as bleach loses potency over time. I keep a month's worth of 8.25% and it doesn't degrade much in a month.

If you figure about 2 ppm FC loss per day, and your swim season is 150 days long, you'll use about 77 gallons of 8.25% bleach the entire season. That's about 81 bottles of 8.25%. Or about 122 bottles of 5.25%.

h2oluver

Mar 26, 2015
Tulsa/Oklahoma
Thanks for the tips. I can see using much more than I figured. I bought 24 gallons of the 10% to start off. May go back and grab some of the 5.25%

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX
Thanks for the tips. I can see using much more than I figured. I bought 24 gallons of the 10% to start off. May go back and grab some of the 5.25%

I would not get more. You have plenty now, maybe too much. This was a new fill right?

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX
24 gallons 10% for a clean pool of that size will last a little while yes. Just estimating, you'll use 60-70 ounces daily depending on what you lose. Some will be a little weaker by the time you get to it though, so unless you want more than a month out supply, I would wait. I'm like Bama, I'd rather not have it around for more than about a month. 10% degrades faster than 8.25% by a little, so there isn't much point if you see what I mean.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.