Ground water is coming in around the skimmer collar!!

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
We've had a lot of rain this spring, and water table is at the surface. Today took the skimmer cover off and noticed dirty ground water flowing into the skimmer from where the cover collar joins the skimmer body. I'm assuming this isn't supposed to be happening. Should I wait until the water table drops and caulk or epoxy around the collar/skimmer joint? What type of caulk or epoxy should I use?

Still can't open pool...new problem now...leaking skimmer!

I hope it's ok, but I also posted this in the "Pumping Station" section because my frustration level is growing.
Please only ask a question in a single place. Merged posts. JasonLion

Today I noticed that ground water (water table is almost at the surface) is flowing directly into the skimmer from around where the round skimmer cover collar fits onto the top of the skimmer about 4" below the surface of the pool deck. I'm assuming this is supposed to be water tight! My only plan at this time is to wait until the water table drops, and try and seal it. Any suggestions on what I should use to seal it? The collar and skimmer body are both plastic.

These things aren't meant to keep water from passing through.

If your ground water is that high, you can seal the seam with 2 part epoxy putty, which can be applied under water.

You might want to think about installing a curtain drain to keep that water away from the pool. If it gets too bad, your liner may start to float.

Thanks. The 2 part epoxy putty sounds like a good idea.

My liner has water behind it often. Right now it'll be at least 3 days (assuming no more rain) until the sides and bottom of the liner settle. We've had an extremely wet spring. What we need is a big french drain to divert the water around the side of the pool where the water gets blocked in. The pool came with the house we bought in late 2009 and we are just now seeing what the problem is when there is above average rainfall. Is a french drain the same thing as a curtain drain?

I recently found out that dirty ground water was getting into my pool through the same place, between the cover collar and skimmer. During our wet winter it happened many times without me knowing where it was coming from. The water cleared usually within a couple of days.

In my case, there's gunite between the cover collar and skimmer (IG plaster pool) and when the water level behind a nearby retaining wall gets as high as the deck or higher, it'll seep into the skimmer through the gunite. My solution would be to get proper drainage behind the wall which I haven't completed as of yet.

JFYI, the dirty ground water getting into my pool resulted in my CYA level dropping to near zero. So, once you get it cleared up don't forget to check your conditioner level.

Now I'm second guessing myself on whether to epoxy the skimmer cover collar to the skimmer. Since the collar is part of the deck, maybe there is supposed to be an allowance for a little movement between the collar and skimmer in winter during freeze/thaw cycles. If I epoxy it, and the deck moves, it might crack the skimmer. Am I dreaming all this up, or am I onto something? Maybe a flexible caulk or silicone would at least temporarily fix the problem, and then I could just recaulk it next year if needed.

French drains work great to divert water, espicially ground water. I highly recommend you putting on in, just do it right the first time (deep enough, cloth, rock, perferated edge down, etc.) and you will likely rid your problem. I've had them in 2 of the 4 houses I've lived in and they work great.

edweather said:
Why perforated edge down? Don't I want the water to be carried away, rather than run out of the bottom of the pipe?

If you put the holes on the top, over time the pipe will fill with sediment. If you put them on the bottom the water will tend to carry the sediment past and whatever gets in will tend to fall out as the water level drops. The pipe will still allow water to move to equalize the local water table.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.