Grotto planning and design advice?

NorCalX

Gold Supporter
Feb 3, 2011
Brentwood, CA
Have a meeting setup to go over details for a potential swim in love seat grotto as well as a weeping rock feature.

If all goes well we probably sign.

Looking for any last minute advice from those with grottos or PBs who built them.

Natural rock/stone
Includes pump and light
Size and rock choice are variables that will impact final price

I know a grotto is a custom item almost like a piece of art and hard to nail down with words on a contract

We have pictures of modest grottos we like and grottos the PB has made

I plan on the contract saying "grotto like image X attached" and having PB as well as our signature on it

Any other tips?

A grotto can be a wonderful feature incorporated into a pool design. It can be a focal point, a character adding design element, and can provide a unique and much welcomed spot to cool off and escape the hot sun.

A few considerations....
Try to design the feature so that it's incorporated into an overall design scheme, as opposed to looking like it is a separate entity. Keep it within the scale of the overall space.
If your space is very flat already, have them save a portion of the excavated dirt from the pool to be used later to grade around the finished grotto. The idea is for it to resemble something of a natural outcropping, as opposed to a pile of rocks sitting on the deck.

Absolutely incorporate subtle lighting....for ambience as well as safety. It doesnt have to be terribly bright.

You didnt specify if you have kids. If so, sooner or later they WILL want to jump in from atop the grotto. Plan your depths accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalX
So you have seen some he has already done? That is awesome as that is something I would have suggested you do....go look at his work. Lets go one step further........print out 3 or so pics of ones he has done and talk about what you really like about this one or that one. Then talk about what you do not care for. Make notes with arrows so he knows exactly what you are seeing and saying.

I LOVE grottos and such. They are so neat to look at. Add water coming off of it and you just enhance the whole thing. I can just imagine swimming into it with a drink in hand (plastic cup of course) and settling in. It would block out the rest of the world and allow me to relax and clear my mind. Now if I am lucky enough to have my hubby in there with me???? OH YEAH!

Kim:kim:

NorCal,

What BMX points out above is so true.. The difference between a great grotto and a pile of rocks is a pretty fine line. The size of the pool and the landscape of surrounding area make all the difference in the world.. Just take a look at some of our construction threads and the bad ones stand out like a pimple on your forehead...

Thanks,

Jim R.

A grotto can be a wonderful feature incorporated into a pool design. It can be a focal point, a character adding design element, and can provide a unique and much welcomed spot to cool off and escape the hot sun.

A few considerations....
Try to design the feature so that it's incorporated into an overall design scheme, as opposed to looking like it is a separate entity. Keep it within the scale of the overall space.
If your space is very flat already, have them save a portion of the excavated dirt from the pool to be used later to grade around the finished grotto. The idea is for it to resemble something of a natural outcropping, as opposed to a pile of rocks sitting on the deck.

Absolutely incorporate subtle lighting....for ambience as well as safety. It doesnt have to be terribly bright.

You didnt specify if you have kids. If so, sooner or later they WILL want to jump in from atop the grotto. Plan your depths accordingly.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes we have kids. They are 7 and 9 and I already know telling them not to do something isn't going to be enough.

Plan is for the grotto to be in the deep end (7 feet)
Planning other jump off features so they don't feel the need to jump off the grotto but I know someone will still do it

Grotto as the focal point is the current plan. Positioned to be visible from the living room picture window as well. Landscaping to be primarily focused on the area around and behind the grotto.

We 100% agree a grotto shouldn't be built in isolation. That is actually one of our concerns to discuss with the PB. One of their prior grottos is basically like this. Apparently that is what the client wanted so they did it. It just sticks up 8 feet with nothing else around. We are going to discuss specifics on blending in with the rest of the pool. We have a weeping wall coming off 1 side of the grotto and continuing around the curve of the pool

What exactly do you mean grade around the grotto? I have a horrible imagination and can never have enough detail :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the feedback.

What exactly do you mean grade around the grotto? I have a horrible imagination and can never have enough detail :)

I'm no expert on design or any of that stuff, so without seeing your space and what you have in mind for your grotto, it's hard to visualize. What I meant about the grading was, if possible, have your grotto visually (not literally) acting as something of a retaining wall as opposed to the structure just jutting up vertically into the air with nothing around it. Our PB used much of the excavated dirt to regrade the area around our structure so there was a smoother transition to the surrounding area. From the pool side, you climb 13 or 14 steps to reach the top of the slide. From the 'back' of the structure you only have one step to reach the same spot. Such is the elevation difference between the pool side of the grotto and the backside. Some of the back of the structure was partially buried with the grading, but the result is a natural look, especially from behind which is often a neglected consideration.
If regrading isn't feasible, landscaping can really help soften the feel and have everything blend in. You seem to have a handle on that already. Ours is still very much a work in progress. It will be at least another year or two before our landscaping matures enough to do what we want it to but we knew that going in.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.