Greetings from the East Bay Area, California!

veganryan

Silver Supporter
May 1, 2021
Hercules, CA
Hi everyone,

This past year, my wife and I purchased a house with our first pool (details in sig and pic attached). Up until about a month ago, I knew nothing about maintaining it. We had the previous owner's company "servicing" it weekly, but I suspected that the "service" was lacking and tested the water at The Big Chain Pool Store. Nothing at all was in balance (CYA was 144, for example), so I fired the company and decided to take the job on myself. I've been stuck at home for a year like most of the rest of you, so I might as well learn and do something new!

This forum has been so incredibly helpful already. I know that I am still an extreme novice, but I also know that I can learn here what I need to when I need to.

Today, I tested my water and it was in balance (or close to it) for the first time since I started this journey.

Then I decided to try to clean my Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filters this afternoon for the first time, and all was going well until I was unable to get the drain plug removed. It's stuck! Super stuck! I can't loosen it further or tighten it back up. There are plenty of posts on this forum with potential fixes, so I'll keep working on it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, and thanks for your excellent forum, and thanks in advance for all future advice.

Ryan
Hercules, Ca

Attachments

• mid.jpg
    mid.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 10
Howdy Ryan! welcome to the Forum!

So, why are you removing your cartridge filter drain plug? Just to do it one time? I leave mine in, I remove the cartridges clean them and put them back in.. I only pull the lower drain if I have a lot of gunk down there and it make a big puddle on the pad. So I will tend to use the shop vac first. So.. send us a pic of the offending plug.

BTW your pool looks awesome! you need to post a pic in the TFP clear thread!

Those drain plugs are more trouble than they're worth. Hopefully, you can get it to be in place without leaking. Then never touch it again. Torquing them can damage the threads and even warp the shell. To remove the dirt from the filter bottom, try a shop vac or bilge pump.

Reactions: veganryan