Greetings from SE Texas from 1st time Pool Owner

Feb 11, 2017
Port Neches, TX
Hello!

I recently (2 weeks ago) purchased a home with a pool so I'm trying to quickly self educate via this site and a few other online resources. I've moved in so it's time to get serious about taking care of the pool. The pool school and getting started articles have been great to give me the basics of what to do.

All in all, the pool wasn't in too bad of shape - at least the water. It has been clear so far. I had the water tested at the pool store and bought a Taylor K2005 test kit (I know I messed up and didn't get the kit with FAS/DPD) I'll be ordering the FAS/DPD kit but here are the numbers from the pool store and what I got with the test kit. The CC number comes from subtracting FC from Total Chlorine

Pool Store My Result
FC 5 6
TC 5 6
CC 0 0
CYA 40 40
PH 7.4 7.5
TA 60 80
CH 150 150

The pool store numbers were generated about a week before my most recent numbers. I purposely raised TA after getting pool store results by adding Sodium bicarbonate so the higher TA number when I tested was expected. I have also disassembled and cleaned the DE filter grids and added new DE. Besides that I've just tried to keep the leaves out and have been chlorinating with trichlor tablets since that is what the seller left me. I'll be switching to bleach since my CYA and FC seem to be in balance. I'm going to raise TA a little more (to 90) then I believe my next priority should be to raise the CH. Please let me know if you see it differently.

I do have some issues though. Primarily, there is quite a bit of staining and discoloration to the plaster. I think some is from leaves settling and staying in the bottom too long but the worst of it looks like it may be something else. I haven't been able to check yet to see what the stains are using the vitamin C and chlorine puck methods. I'll try to post some pics and conduct the checks. I'm hoping I can clear the discoloration without having to replaster.

A couple other little things but first things first. Besides raising CH, anything else look out of balance?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

From your first post it is obvious you have read a lot of the articles and posts.

I would caution you, step away form the baking soda...... We generally find the pH to stay a little more stable with the TA a little lower., the 60 probably was a good place to be - but 80 is not the end of the world. Don't bring it to 90 yet, TA is the last thing to worry about.

No, you are good. Bring the CH up and keep up with your testing. Order that FAS/DPD kit so you can dial in the chlorine.

No more tabs.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here and excellent first post :)

As soon as you get the FAS-DPD FC test, do this: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
In a nutshell... Around sunset, collect sample and test FC after sunset. Before sunrise the next morning, do it again. Be sure the pump has run for 30 minutes prior to each test. Any chlorinator must be turned off between readings.

Thank-you all for taking the time to respond already. I'll hold tight on raising the TA and work on CH. then I'll do the OCLT TEST once my FAS-DPD kit shows up.

I'll come back for further advice on getting rid of the staining and a couple other issues.
Thanks again. I've learned a ton already from this site.

Thank-you all for taking the time to respond already. I'll hold tight on raising the TA and work on CH. then I'll do the OCLT TEST once my FAS-DPD kit shows up.

I'll come back for further advice on getting rid of the staining and a couple other issues.
Thanks again. I've learned a ton already from this site.
Stick around. With what you have learned so far you will be answering questions for other folks in no time!! The rush is right around the corner and we will need all the help we can get.