Green Water ... What to Do ....

Thanks ......

That clears my questions ..... Im hoping since it is sunny out my FC levels stay at at least 5 to prevent any algae regrowth. I know this depends on my CYA levels having risen overnight ......

Hello all,

I have been working on the pool for 5 days now and have reached a point where my water conditions are , Blue but very cloudy. My current chemical levels are:
FC = 10
pH = 7.2
TA = 100
Calcuim Hardness = 70
CYA = 25

Any Ideas on how I can get a the water clarity up ? The pool store is recommending a product called "Ultra Bright"

PS - I am having the hardest time trying to find borax, I have tried all the big stores in the area : Walmart, Walgreens, Pathmark, Stop and Shop, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I am thinking I just might have to get it online, unless someone knows of store in Long island that carries this product.

Thanks

Ultra Bright is a clarifier sold by Leslie's. It is extra cost and not normally necessary but if you are getting impatient and want to try it you certainly can do so (it's your pool, though clarifiers are not normally recommended on this forum). If you search for "Ultra Bright" on this forum you will see mixed results -- mostly OK, but not working for everyone. Usually you want to rule out other factors first and if you still have any significant (> 1 ppm FC) overnight chlorine loss then you should keep shocking the pool.

Hello all,

I did figure that the Ultra Bright was going a little overboard, but your right I was and am a little impatient ..... would like to have to pool ready to swim in by tomorrow .... and it was on sale ...LOL ... :-D buy one get one free.

I do have a DE filter and it has been running 24/7 for 6 days, I have poured so much bleach in the pool (couldn't tell you how many gallons, I lost count) that my FC levels have been at 10 since that last time I added bleach which was last night. So I haven't added anymore since than, the filter has been backwashed every time it has gone 10 psi over the start up which has been 15 psi.

I am almost there, I can see the bottom of the deep end and the water is blue. This is a far cry from what it looked like when I opened the pool, I just need to get it clear.

So thanks to all for helping me .....

Hello all,

I had the pool opened by the professionals last year, I also had a new vinyl liner installed. I beileve they took the filter apart and cleaned all the elements. I don't know to what extent they cleaned it ?

The good news is that the "Ultra Bright" help somewhat :party: ... well not sure if it was the clarifier or the fact the filter was on, but the water is clearer not crystal but clearer.

My numbers so far are:

FC = 5
pH = 7.4
TA = 100
CYA = 30

I do have a question about this reading:

Phosphates = 1000
CH = 70

Do I need to worry about these number ? If I don't correct the Phosphates number will it cause the algae to come back quicker ?

Thanks

CH is basically a non-issue in a vinyl pool - high CH is. So you're good.

Phosphates are a way for pool stores to make money. Yes, they are algae food. However, if you are diligent and ALWAYS maintain the FC at the recommended levels, never letting it drop below your "min" - they are a non-issue and won't cause you trouble. Just keep the FC properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.