LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Burlington, Ontario, Canada. Opened on March 20. First time in 14 openings (15 years of pool ownership) that I had algae. Not sure why this time (Covid? Lol). It was a slimy layer completely covering the floor of the liner until I brushed it and ended up with the green soup you see in the attached picture.

Anyway, 24 hours later, using just chlorine and a cartridge filter, the little green enemy is mostly dead.

Just needs another good brushing to remove the algae that's still clinging (the dark spots in the pictures).

It's a salt pool, but the water is too cold to run the chlorine generator, so I use a floater until the water warms up.

20210320_144554.jpg20210321_173720.jpg20210321_173723.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet job RCY !!! I’ve done 2 similar, once from equipment failure and once due to wacky weather. Both times my Honking pump and cartridges cleared it in a day instead of days or weeks.

I have seen way too many posts with a small filter (of all 3 kinds) taking forever to remove all the dead stuffs once the chlorine did it’s thing. I imagine a properly oversized sand/DE filter would behave similar but my big cartridges are 2-0 in my book and I’ll never try anything else.

*edit. Current signature lists the 17 year old equipment that we inherited by moving. It’s showing it’s age and I would not like to take it into battle. Lol. Will be rebuilding sooner or later.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcy
Awesome job. By the title, I was thinking you were going to be touting some new pool store magic potion.

I still have ice, so I was surprised at your early opening. I agree with cowboycasey.
Do a slam. No shortcuts. It is easy to clear up a pool and think you got rid of all the Algae, only for it to go cloudy again. I suspect your pool looked clear when you closed it but it must have been borderline. And you have had a very warm spring....

Sweet job RCY !!! I’ve done 2 similar, once from equipment failure and once due to wacky weather. Both times my Honking pump and cartridges cleared it in a day instead of days or weeks.

I have seen way too many posts with a small filter (of all 3 kinds) taking forever to remove all the dead stuffs once the chlorine did it’s thing. I imagine a properly oversized sand/DE filter would behave similar but my big cartridges are 2-0 in my book and I’ll never try anything else.

*edit. Current signature lists the 17 year old equipment that we inherited by moving. It’s showing it’s age and I would not like to take it into battle. Lol. Will be rebuilding sooner or later.
Thanks.

I used to have a sand filter and if I had cloudy water at opening it would sometimes take a week to get really crystal clear.

Cartridge filter is much more efficient. I'll admit, though, with the sand filter, backwashing was much easier than taking the cartridge filter apart and cleaning (in my case) four cartridges.

Last edited:
I still have ice, so I was surprised at your early opening. I agree with cowboycasey.
Do a slam. No shortcuts. It is easy to clear up a pool and think you got rid of all the Algae, only for it to go cloudy again. I suspect your pool looked clear when you closed it but it must have been borderline. And you have had a very warm spring....
I usually open April 1st, but it's mild here and looks that way until the end of March.

I have opened before with ice on the water. Lol.

Agreed that despite my clear water at closing, I must have had unseen algae. I didn't think algae could spread like that in cold water, though. It's currently 41 f.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adamphotoman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.