Houma, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
On 4/3 I installed a new liner. On 4/4 I finished getting it all lined up and added some water. No wrinkles or issues so I filled her up. My pool rover needed a new bag so it was ordered. Got it in and now the power supply doesn't work, so I had to order a new one. That'll be here new week.

In the mean time, some leaves and flowers from my bottle brush trees got into the pool. I didn't have a vacuum, so it sat of a few days. Water was clear at one time, but now it has a green hue. But I have no algae and it's not the same as if algae is starting to grow. Water is very clear, but has a tint.

Anyone ever run into issues where trees or plants have tinted the water? How do you get rid of that tint? I vacuumed up all the debris that was in it manually, but nothing changed.

It's a fresh fill so my chemicals are off but I am getting them inline.

I added 10lbs of CYA, I had 0.
Added 3.5 gal of 6% bleach to hold it over till the CYA was tested. Hoping for a 60-70 result.

Testing as of 4/12 is
FC-1
CC-3
pH-7.8
TA-120
CYA-0
Salt-3400

After taking that test, I added 78oz of MA to bring down TA.
Today 4/13 I will test everything again this afternoon, and make adjustments as needed.

Right now my biggest concern is getting the green/brown tint out. Any help is appreciated.

I did notice that when I took the CYA sock out of the skimmer, it did have a brownish stain to it. I had the other sock hanging by the other jet, and it too had some staining.

Whatever it is, the light brown tint with a dark blue liner makes it seem a greenish color.

Well, let's move forward. You have added sufficient CYA to get to between 50 - 60, we will call it 60 for now.

I'm guessing the water is too cold for the SWCG, so for now you have a manually chlorinated pool with 60 CYA. Your minimum FC should be 5 and your target is 7 - 9.

Tonight when the sun goes down bring it up to FC 10 (testing after the water has circulated to be sure the exact FC). Tomorrow when the sun comes up test again after the water has circulated. The difference will tell us where to go.

Am I readign this corectly that the water fill was 4/4 and the chlorine was added 4/12?

Dull green tint or bright green tint? Did it turn green right after the chlorine addition?

Water was clear when I added initial bleach and soda on 4/9.
On 4/9 I initially added 3 gal of bleach, 15 lbs baking soda and 10 bags of salt(Clorox brand).
4/10, I added 5 more bags of salt(Aquasalt brand), 20 oz borax, 15lbs baking soda(I initially didn't have enough).
4/12 added 10lbs, CYA

It's a clear green and I can see the bottom fine, no slime or any build up at all.

Check it this morning and it's the same color.

Water is upper 70's, but I haven't run the SWG much because of a few issues and adding chemicals.

It could be Iron. Pale orange tint against a blue liner will look greenish. You should already know if your water has Iron -- you'll taste it and there will be rust stains in the toilet tank. A metal sequestrant will clear that up.

You think it's iron from the bottle brush trees? It was clear, then we had some weather that blew the leaves and flowers into the pool. Because I didn't have a vac head or my Rover wasn't working, that debris stayed in the pool for a few days. Initially it didn't change colors, till about 1 day after.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You think it's iron from the bottle brush trees? It was clear, then we had some weather that blew the leaves and flowers into the pool. Because I didn't have a vac head or my Rover wasn't working, that debris stayed in the pool for a few days. Initially it didn't change colors, till about 1 day after.
Iron comes from the source water, not trees

That is what I thought. But it was clear for a couple days till the bottle brush debris got in and sat in it. If I scoop it up with the net, a light brown water would seep if squeezed. Was like a tea color. That color with a blue background seems to be green.

I forgot to take a picture of it this morning. After work, I'll get a pic. Should be posting that about noonish central time.

Well, I think it is more than just algae.
I backwashed and the sight glass looked like the pic below. I also to test my theory of the bottle brush causing the coloring, I put white socks in the skimmer. The results after 1 hour in there is rusty looking colored socks. I took them out and wrung them out and the water looked like tea. Backwashed for about 1 minute till it cleared, then rinsed.

Shared album - Chad Miller (vegaskiller73) - Google Photos

Your timeline suggests you went from 4/3 - 4/9 before adding any sanitizer.

It seems like that but the water was added in increments. I did not run it constantly and took 5 days to fill. I do not like running water at night, just in case my dogs pull the hose out or something should happen.

On 4/3 we didn't have any water except for the overnight ran. That was only 1 in.
On 4/4 I added 4 in just to pull the wrinkles out overnight.
4/5 had about 1/2(see pics below)
4/6 added more but not filling.
4/7 added more
4/8 topped off.
4/9 added salt, 15lb of baking soda, 3.5 bottles of bleach.
4/11 added 5 bags salt and 15lb soda, after the 1st test. Right about the time it started to turn colors.

On 4/3 we didn't have any water except for the overnight ran. That was only 1 in.
On 4/4 I added 4 in just to pull the wrinkles out overnight.
4/5 had about 1/2(see pics below)
4/6 added more but not filling.
4/7 added more
4/8 topped off.
4/9 added salt, 15lb of baking soda, 3.5 bottles of bleach.
4/11 added 5 bags salt and 15lb soda, after the 1st test. Right about the time it started to turn colors.
As Paul pointed out, your timeline shows water in the pool (maybe not full, but water) from 4/3 until 4/9. On 4/9 you added bleach. Six days with no sanitizer will allow algae to grow. It doesn't turn green overnight, but it slowly gets cloudy then the green starts appearing.

As Paul and I have pointed out, step #1 is an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks Tim.
I'm gonna do the OCLT test tonight, but please take a look at the pics I'm posting.
The socks have been in the skimmer for just under 3 hours.
I took a clear glass and put some bottle brush flowers in it as a test. Those have been in there for about the same time. The water in the glass is turning the same color as the water I wring out of the socks. Tea colored. Bottle brush flowers have nectar in them and once dried up they turn brownish. Playing devil's advocate hear, but you think that could be the problem? I feel pretty strongly they are, but they won't be a problem for a while now. I cut them down a bit to make sure. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.