Green Swamp, old chemicals, should I wait?

DrThop

Jul 5, 2017
THE WOODLANDS
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I live in Houston, Tx. for reasons beyond my control my pool has been unattended for the past 3-4 months. It is a green mess. My chemicals (from my TF100 kit) are almost 2 years old (but I keep them inside the house in a dry and dark cabinet). I just ordered a new refill but I want to start SLAMing my pool tomorrow. Should I wait until I receive the chemicals to do it? As far as I understand the only value I need right now is PH, correct?

Please let me know, I know I have waited so long... three more days are not going to matter too much.

thanks,

Dr Thop.

You will need FC too. The R-0870 would be the one that might be a concern. But, if the pool is really green, it is going to consume chlorine like crazy so overshooting a bit on FC may not be all that bad.

Test the pH. Lower it to 7.2. While doing that, get 30 ppm CYA dissolving using the sock method. (look below - might need to do an ammonia test first). Once the pH is good, SLAM away.

Before adding CYA, Do test the CYA just to be sure, though in your area, I would suspect it is near zero or zero. Then follow this:
To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC. If at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation.

If you do the above 3 times and no FC is seen, then stop until you have the new test reagents. The R0870 may be compromised.

full

For what it's worth my original TF-100 kit was used for two seasons, and this season coming up will be the third I've had that set of reagents. For the first two years they worked great. I imagine, but am not trusting, that they might still even work well this year... but I sprung for the refill kit at the discount rate just because. I plan to test both the old batch and the new batch to see if the old reagents still agree. If they are even relatively close, I'll finish using those up to test family members pools!

My advice for your is to use a truck load of chlorine bleach, and keep that pumping going 24/7.... SLAM that baby till the cows come home. Good luck :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.