Green pool with lots of floaties

Calebs

Mar 30, 2019
Troup, texas
I've got some nasty looking water going on in my pool. It sat neglected for at least 3 years and I think( key word think) got all the leaves and twice off the bottom. I thought I had the algae killed once before so I put alum in it and turned the pump off to let the dead algae settle but it turns out not all the algae was dead so now I have a bunch of dead algae and live algae floating about my pool. I've got the FC up to slam level and the PH is about 7.2. The sediment is so bad my pressure is high enough to need to backwards within a few hours.

Yup, that's what alum floc will do. Can you let it settle and just vacuum to waste? You'll lose a mess of water but it may be the only way to get that ghastly stuff outta there. You want to keep that stuff out of your filter.

How are you testing your water? Got one of the recommended kits? Can you give me these test results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How did you go about trying to kill the algae before? DId you read the instructions for how to SLAM your pool?
SLAM Process

What else have you added?

Maddie :flower:

Yup, that's what alum floc will do. Can you let it settle and just vacuum to waste? You'll lose a mess of water but it may be the only way to get that ghastly stuff outta there. You want to keep that stuff out of your filter.

How are you testing your water? Got one of the recommended kits? Can you give me these test results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How did you go about trying to kill the algae before? DId you read the instructions for how to SLAM your pool?
SLAM Process

What else have you added?

Right now I have a 6-way test which will test all but CC. But I just tested FC and PH since its dark. The last time I tried to slam the pool I hadn't yet found this wonderful site. but I know have read the slam instructions and I'm trying to follow them as close as I know how since I'm still learning how to care for a pool. The first time I followed the advice of the pool store....which I now know was a mistake. I was told the following:
Add 3 lbs shock and filter for 24 he's
Add allum and filter for 2 he's then shutoff pump.
Let sediment settlte, may take up to 72 hrs.
Vacuum to waste.

Problem is was told the water would clear so I could see to vacuum. Never got clear enough to see to vacuum so I tried doing it blind and found lots of live algae.

Truth be told, if it were me, I'd work on getting the alum floc out first if all possible? My reasoning is that you're going to need your filter as you kill off algae. Your filter needs to be up to the job of filtering out the algae with occasional backwashes. But that floc is something that gums up your filter (hence why you're told to vacuum to waste instead so you'll bypass the filter).
We can deal with dark gloomy algae filled pools almost easier than floc filled pools.

Tell me about your water supply? Are you on a well or do you have access to relatively cheap city water? We might want to suggest a partial drain. Can't go all the way with vinyl lined pools as the vinyl may shift position which isn't good.

We also want you to be cautious as your scoop leaves and debris out to avoid damage to the liner.

A few drains with a submersible pump and fills can dilute the problem and make it easier to eventually filter.

Dump a bunch of CL in during the drain/fills to stop the algae growth.

Truth be told, if it were me, I'd work on getting the alum floc out first if all possible? My reasoning is that you're going to need your filter as you kill off algae. Your filter needs to be up to the job of filtering out the algae with occasional backwashes. But that floc is something that gums up your filter (hence why you're told to vacuum to waste instead so you'll bypass the filter).
We can deal with dark gloomy algae filled pools almost easier than floc filled pools.

Tell me about your water supply? Are you on a well or do you have access to relatively cheap city water? We might want to suggest a partial drain. Can't go all the way with vinyl lined pools as the vinyl may shift position which isn't good.

We also want you to be cautious as your scoop leaves and debris out to avoid damage to the liner.

I'm on city water and I'm not quite sure how much it would cost to drain it I've looked at my cities water dept website but cant understand what it says. Is that only way to get rid of the flock?

I'm on city water and I'm not quite sure how much it would cost to drain it I've looked at my cities water dept website but cant understand what it says. Is that only way to get rid of the flock?

That's about the fastest and probably best way at this point. You can rent a sump pump at Home Depot or invest in a cheap small one for use.
Send me a link to your water department and I'll see if I can make heads or tails of it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since you already pay the $15.68 base fee, my estimation is that draining your pool (almost!) and refilling it would cost about $47. In some communties if you tell them you're filling a pool they will forgive you the sewer charge.

Since you already pay the $15.68 base fee, my estimation is that draining your pool (almost!) and refilling it would cost about $47. In some communties if you tell them you're filling a pool they will forgive you the sewer charge.

Now that I know they will do. Only trouble is when I originally started opening the pool I put a water hose in to get the water back up to the skimmer and I forgot about it....overnight...so I have no idea what my water bill is gonna be this month lol. But I have been leaning towards a partial drain. Drain it, fill it, get the rest of the garbage out of it, balance it and I'm ready to swim. If the weather will pick a season that is. Went from the 70s this week down to the 50s from today all the way up to Wednesday.

There is another possible way.

SLAM the pool (please read the article and follow the steps VERY carefully) Before you add the SLAM value FC, put your multiport valve on "recirculate" so you bypass the filter. Run the pump for 48 hours non-stop and KEEP THE FC AT SLAM VaLUE the entire 48 hours. You will likely have to bring the FC up several times. If you do not keep adding FC, this is a waste of your time and money.

Next, turn your multiport to "backwash" and wash out all the junk in your filter. Backwash at least 4 minutes.

Next, turn your multi to the filter position and resume the SLAM.......backwashing your filter whenever the pressure exceeds 25% of normal.

I believe you will soon see the bottom of the pool and then can net out the visible debris and finish the SLAM.

You are going to use a lot of FC but there is no way around that.....FC is what you need to clear the pool. You will at least not have to drain and refill except for what you lose during backwash.

The ONLY way this will work is if you keep your FC at SLAM value by adding maybe four or so times daily. Letting the chlorine deplete will allow the algae to take back over.

I have my pool drained as much as I can. But I still have the problem of all this sediment and nastiness at the bottom. Could I fill the pool back up and vacuum this or is it just gonna turn my pool murky so I can't see the bottom again? It has alum in it also which is why I couldn't filter my water clear.20190331_113032.jpg15543381973853321766478491465076.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.