Green pool, here we go

zinprogress

May 7, 2020
phoenix az
Hey all, I posted here a few months back about losing a battle against algae and was recommended to stop using the pool store and get my own test kit. Since then thugs got busy, the pool was drained and chlorine washed and I was using Leslies pool to test the water and tell me what chemicals to add. Everything was going alright till the dust storms hit and within days the pool green and had algae growth all over the walls. I scrubbed and threw in the shock they told me to but the pool kept getting greener till they sold me a fix. Throw in the green to clean and several bags of shock later the water started to clear then rapidly got way worse! They just keep telling me to throw shock at it and it’s not improving at all.

so here I am now, I have the Taylor k-2006 test kit with the additional 3-way residential kit. I used the kit and found my ph was 7.5 and total chlorine didn’t even change colors so less than .5. Within the last 24hrs I’ve used three bags of shock and I’m done going to leslies.

please help!

Z in progress as in you are rebuilding a Nissan in your spare time, or are you mid- nap ? Anywho belated welcome and welcome back !!

Z in progress as in you are rebuilding a Nissan in your spare time, or are you mid- nap ? Anywho belated welcome and welcome back !!
WOW! Ive been using that screen name for the last 14yrs and you might be the first person to get it right! Most people think is zin progress even on the nissan forums. I have an unhealthy obsession with z cars and while i dont currently own one, ive built and owned dozens.

Reactions: Newdude
I bought a 350 in '04 when they came out again from my love of the 300s back in the day. It was zippy for sure but the stage 2 clutch was miserable to drive daily. The car cared not that there was a cop on one side of you and a bus full of nuns on the other. The options were to have an 1800 RPM launch or stall. Unless you had a cup of coffee between your legs. The car could sense it and would demand 2500 RPM launches for the next 10 miles of red lights.

• Haha
Reactions: CraigChing
Thanks for filling in your signature. SLAM on! Follow the directions to the letter. Especially about when to know the SLAM is over. You can't short-cut or speed up the process. The more you adhere to "the rules" the faster it'll go. The less you let the FC drop below the target amount, the faster it'll go. Otherwise, you'll just have to start over again. This is the best way to get rid of the algae. As you now know, the pool stores don't know how to do it. Good luck. We'll be rooting for ya!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought a 350 in '04 when they came out again from my love of the 300s back in the day. It was zippy for sure but the stage 2 clutch was miserable to drive daily. The car cared not that there was a cop on one side of you and a bus full of nuns on the other. The options were to have an 1800 RPM launch or stall. Unless you had a cup of coffee between your legs. The car could sense it and would demand 2500 RPM launches for the next 10 miles of red lights.
ive owned almost every variation of 300zx from 84-91. Ive driven a few 350z's but have never owned one but they are getting awfully affordable

Did you have a specific question? You reported some test results (thank you). One of those was your CYA level, of 50. You use the chart to determine that for a CYA of 50, your FC target level for a SLAM is 20. So when you get to the part of the SLAM instructions that calls for chlorine, you:
- test your pool for the existing amount of FC in your pool
- use either of the Pool Math* tools to determine how much liquid chlorine to pour into your pool to bring your pool to FC 20.

And your SLAMin!

You continue with the SLAM instructions, testing and dosing to maintain the FC of 20 as often as necessary.

And you continue to do that until you can pass the three criteria that indicate the algae is gone and the SLAM is over. Those three criteria are explained in the SLAM instructions.

If there's anything unclear about that or the SLAM instructions, just take a deep breath, read everything again, and/or ask here about anything that is not clear, and we'll help you get started.

* Pool Math is an app you can load on your smart phone, or a webpage you can visit here. It's a calculator. You plug in all you already know about your pool, and the type of liquid chlorine you have available, and either app will calculate exactly how much liquid chlorine to add to your pool to bring your FC level up to 20. It makes the dosing very easy once you get the hang of it.

Don't overthink it. The principal is very simple. Basically, you're pouring in enough chlorine to make the water toxic to algae. And because algae can be stubborn, and well-entrenched, you maintain that level of chlorine in the water, constantly, until the algae is dead. That's it.

Where the pool store method falls short, is they fail to explain how the process needs to work (or they don't actually know), especially about maintaining a constant level of chlorine (FC). They sell you shock, you dump it in and you think you're done. Well, that shock will kill some algae, but not likely all of it. The shock does its thing and in the process is used up by doing so. So while you think you're done, the FC has dropped, the remaining algae recovers and multiplies a day or so later, and you're green and/or cloudy again. So you go back to the store and they sell you more shock, etc, etc. They leave off several key steps that must be performed, and they generally don't tell you how to test to see if ALL of the algae is really gone. So the process never ends. (Sound familiar?) You can't usually cure your pool of algae with a single, extra dose of chlorine. Or even many doses of extra chlorine without knowing how much to add and how often to add it. The SLAM process covers all those missing instructions. The most important of which are maintaining a specific level of FC for a period of time, and testing to see when all the algae is really gone. That might take days, many days, or even a week or weeks. It all depends on how bad your algae is, and how well you follow the SLAM instructions.

Hope that helps. Ask away if not.

Last edited:
Yep, the culture here is pretty cool, thanks to the admins and mods that work hard at creating and maintaining that. It's somewhat infectious. In a few weeks you'll be a SLAM expert and you'll be back helping the next guy with his green pool! :LOL:

Reactions: mknauss
so, i have been testing fc and adding chlorine (3gal and 1qt) roughly every 12hrs and am still not getting any fc on my tests. cya is still at 50. Do i need to increase the frequency of my tests and adding chems?

i really wish i had learned all this months ago, i think id have a crystal clear pool by now. thanks to the help i got from you guys, the chemical portion seems far more simple than i built it up to be in my head.

Are you testing between those 12 hour stints?

If not, add the chlorine, with the pump running, and then test 20 - 30 mins later. What is it reading then?

When you're SLAMing, there is no need for the FC measurement to be super accurate, so you can use a 5ml sample of pool water, each drop of reactant is equivalent to 1 ppm of FC. You can save reactants this way.

Zin, how are you measuring FC? Are you using the FAS-DPD test? This is the one where you put in 10 ml of water, add in two scoops of powder and then use drops until the color is gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.