green pool due to high nitrates

Welcome to TFP!

It doesn't. That sounds like some made up pool store baloney. I've never even tested nitrates and my pool has been crystal clear since 2012. Every single day.

This is how we kill algae, SLAM Process

thank you , i went to the local pool store . they advise me to empty about two feet of water , because of high nitrates . This causes the chlorine to not work. any thoughts.

Welcome to TFP :)

Please feel free to do some reading in pool school and you will quickly realize the rediculousness of that statement from the pool store. Get a good test kit and learn to not blindly take advice :) we are glad to help. The SLAM process is what you need to clear up most green pools.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

thank you , i went to the local pool store . they advise me to empty about two feet of water , because of high nitrates . This causes the chlorine to not work. any thoughts.

The person who told you this has no clue what they're talking about. Walk away.
Only reason I could see to empty and refill is to reduce your stabilizer/CYA.

Update:
Read the test kit in the Aimee's post.
Buy a FAS/DPD test kit, Taylor K2006 or TFT kit

It is *possible* that the pool guy really meant "high phosphates". We test for that on a semi-regular basis, not nitrates. Phosphates may be considered to be a food for algae, but does not *cause* algae. As long as you have free chlorine (FE), there should be no algae to use the phosphates as a food source. As the other folks recommended, please read the pool school info. You just need to follow the SLAM process and you should be in good shape.

It is *possible* that the pool guy really meant "high phosphates". We test for that on a semi-regular basis, not nitrates. Phosphates may be considered to be a food for algae, but does not *cause* algae. As long as you have free chlorine (FE), there should be no algae to use the phosphates as a food source. As the other folks recommended, please read the pool school info. You just need to follow the SLAM process and you should be in good shape.
Not to hijack the thread, but if the proper chlorine level is maintained then phosphates are meaningless. Most of us here have never tested for them.

Nitrates are essentially fertilizer... they make plants grow fast and get nice and green. Ever hear of Ammonium Nitrate? The plants in this case happen to be algae.

If you had sufficient chlorine, it would kill the blown-in algae spore before it could start growing. But you didn't, so it did. There's always going to be something for the algae spores to feed on unless the pool is hermetically sealed. So the solution is to keep enough chlorine in the water. If you have enough chlorine in the water to kill bacteria and viruses, you'll also have enough to kill algae, and it doesn't matter how high the phosphate and nitrates are.

I have never tested for nitrates or phosphates and never had algee, ever. But I keep an eye on my FC/CC levels. But it is painful hearing my friend comment, "oh, I have algee and need to get my phosphates down and then I can get rid of the algee! What are your phosphates?" .......Is there a throwing money away emoji?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support