Green on steps

Dpooltest

May 28, 2019
New york
I just put in pool steps a few weeks ago and noticed a little green around the pole at the water line. Is this algae, should I be concerned?

i test ph and fc daily, ph usually fluctuates between 7.4-7.7(then I add some dry acid)

i add liquid chlorine(10% hth) nightly to keep fc around 3 (typically drops to .4 -1.2 after a day of swimming)

pool cover is on most of the day and night

i weekly shock using pool life brand powder( 1 lb bags)

Looks like algae. Problem is that even though you didn't post your current CYA, your FC has been allowed to fall much too low as you can see on the FC/CYA Levels. Based on what you've described thus-far, if I were you I would remove the steps if possible. Frustrating because you just installed them, but if you saw that small smudged area of green there may be much more inside. Best to check now rather than let it get worse if it is inside the steps or poles. Inspect, clean, and sanitize with bleach. A SLAM Process could be next, but if you do remove the steps, you might just do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test first just to be sure.

Tested this morning
Fc 2.8
Cc 0.2 ( or less)
Ph 7.6-7.7
Ta 90
Cya probably 5-10 but less then 30 since it’s still clear and the black dot it visible. ( I’ve added small amounts half to full cup of dry cya, obviously not enough)

can I link pool math results to this?
so pull steps and clean with regular bleach (6%)? Half water half bleach or 25% bleach?

I have solar cover on except when swimming, so a floating clorinatior won’t move, should I put a non stabilized (perhaps stabilized to raise cya) puck in the skimmer too keep FC more consistent

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.