Green copper? Iron? Water prob

May 13, 2020
Hampton MN
In the Land of 10,000 lakes low water levels are something er rarely face, 2021 is here though and we are faced with some of the driest weather on record. When we could no longer safely go without adding water we added a couple inches to prevent it from going too low. I’m learning that with these low water levels comes some mineral-y water. We have a fine cost of what looked like yellow/tan, not slimy, chlorine and pH in balance. I put a sock on the filter and vacuumed which just stirred it up and turned the water greenish. I don’t have any tests to see what mineral it is but can bring it in to a pool store but is there anything I can do before then?

Hard to tell what is going on without a good set of water test results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. That would be step #1. As for copper or iron, iron usually comes from a well. If you are on a well, please add that to your signature along with all of your pool and equipment info. Copper would come from using pool store products that most often we at TFP do not recommend. If you have any suspicion about products you have used, let us know. With all of that info we should be able to get an idea of what's going on. You can also post a pic of your pool and water so we can see it first-hand.

Well I ended up taking a water sample to the pool store and she insisted it was mustard algae. I truly thought with about any sort of algae I would feel slime but guess not? We did an algae treatment which helped a lot but there’s still a layer of the Crud on the pool floor. We are going to vacuum it up. I also can’t get my chlorine to hold. Feeling very defeated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.