Ryan226

Mar 17, 2021
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
UPDATE: Had the final inspection today and the electrical passed as is! I think the electrician was trying to rip me off...so glad I investigated instead of just agreeing with him!
And thanks for the code help jamjam, felt good to be knowledgeable on the subject in case of issues.

Ryan226

Mar 17, 2021
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Okay, with the inspection complete, we've begun the project. Starting with the coping collar, couple pics of the area trenched out. I'm about 7" down from the top of the pool wall.
Plan is 2" of underlay, and 5" concrete collar. I do have a few questions I'd like to sort out before completing the pour.

1. Is processed gravel suitable for the underlayment for the concrete collar? Or should I use just a regular 3/4" gravel without the dust & "fines".

2. Planning the final height of the collar will depend on mortar thickness for the coping stones to be set in place. I'm planning to angle back the coping stones 1/8".
Is a mortar thickness of 1/4" ranging back to 1/8" thick enough? Or should I set the collar a little lower to make the mortar thicker? My plan was
to place the granite coping sections directly on top of the liner track, or should I leave a small gap there and then caulk it? Leaving the gap might actually be smart
in case I have any stone thickness variation I would be able to keep my stones in line with each other, maybe leave 1/8" gap to caulk which would also give me thicker mortar bed?

3. Sakrete has a 4000psi mix that is fiber reinforced, I'll probably use this product. (more of a comment I guess).

4. Does the collar need to be one solid piece all around? Would it be okay to make it three large sections? I imagine it will be two sections no matter what with the skimmers,
and I'll probably block off the skimmers and stay an inch away from them.

Thanks again for the help.

Ryan

Attachments

• PXL_20210801_202958580.jpg
    PXL_20210801_202958580.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Pool Pic.jpg
    Pool Pic.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 16

jamjam

Jun 25, 2020
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
i used 3/4 clean angular gravel as a base - compacted. I then did a 4-5 inch thick collar around - my collar was the width i wanted the coping, however, if i were to do it again i would have had it an inch or half an inch narrower so that there is a lip on the back side. I used 5000psi non reinforced - but fiber mesh i think would be worth while.

Ryan226

Mar 17, 2021
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Yeah, from what I've read here I'm definitely planning the collar to be about 3/4" narrower so that the coping stones overhang it a little bit.
I think the 4000 w/ fiber should be plenty good.

Ryan226

Mar 17, 2021
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So final question concerning the bonding wire. It is currently 18" from the water as required. I have several longer sections around that were meant to tie into say a diving board, ladders, etc.
We are not adding any other metal items around the pool at all. No railing/ladders, etc. Should I move these extra lengths and have them be inside the concrete collar? Or just leave them hanging out?

jamjam

Jun 25, 2020
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I would just bury them in place - no harm

Ryan226

Mar 17, 2021
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey, So I was out with an injury, but weather pending getting back on this project. I currently have the concrete trenched, and gravel base in and tamped. Going to start framing for the concrete pour this weekend.
So of course with the project dormant for a few weeks my wife has kind of flipped on our coping idea, so was hoping for some advice on prep.

Instead of a granite coping w/ a large format natural flag stone patio...we wanted to consider skipping the granite all together and have the flag stones come right up as the coping.
The main issue I'm seeing is with the flag stone sizes, they will overhang the concrete collar considerably. Is having my coping stones overhand the concrete collar by 6-12 inches an issue?
I'd still mortar them in place for the 12" they are in contact with the collar, but I wonder if the 6-12" that overhang it and would just be on the gravel/sand base would be an issue?
I'd plan to make the collar a little wider to accommodate somewhat.

Any feedback would be great, as I'm hoping to decide tonight before I start framing the concrete collar pour.

Thanks!