Gradual slope vs drop-off on pool bottom

platon20

Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
DFW/Texas
If I want a pool that has a fairly deep end (8 feet) and also a shallow 4 foot end, can I do it without a slope?

I figured I can tell the pool builder to create a giant step off ledge and put reflective tile on the boundary as well a floating marker right above the drop off soe everybody knows where the ledge is.

Has anybody tried that approach instead of the normal slope type approach?

Veccster

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
I discussed and researched this as well but none of the pool builders I was talking to would do it. As Patrick said, it was a safety issue. Still a cool idea though. I don't think anyone actually uses a slope. It's just there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
You aren't going to get a builder to do it because it isn't safe. Even the slope can "pull" you down surprisingly easily.

Hoot68

Jul 22, 2017
Eliz/nj
On a related topic... what about steps toward the deep end instead of a slope? I'm not sure about the code on that, but steps probably wouldn't pull you down like a slope does. I would like to go from 3.5 to 4.5 feet with a step. Any thoughts on that?

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
On a related topic... what about steps toward the deep end instead of a slope? I'm not sure about the code on that, but steps probably wouldn't pull you down like a slope does. I would like to go from 3.5 to 4.5 feet with a step. Any thoughts on that?
I think that would violate code as well. And be a pain to clean.