Gradual loss of pressure - SWG low flow

istreich

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 19, 2014
Over the past several weeks, I have had to gradually increase the number of RPM of my Pentair VSP pump from 1600 to 3,000 to avoid the dreaded low flow red led on my Pentair SWG. It has now got to the point where I can't even turn it back to green.
I have cleaned the SWG unit (the unit is only one year old) and skimmers are clear. The pool has an automatic pool cover and is kept clean. I have also cleaned my filter cartridges and the pressure filter gauge is looking good.
I am trying to troubleshoot the problem but have had not much success...

Any suggestion on identifying where the issue could be? My ideas are:
- something wrong with the 5 year old VSP pump that has gradually lost efficiency (hope not!)
- some blockage somewhere
- an issue with the SWG unit

Any suggestion/help is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

What was the filter pressure prior to cleaning the filter?
What was the filter pressure after cleaning the filter?

Pressure has not changed. Cleaning the filter made a small difference. I thought it was sorted out but day after day, I had to increase pump speed to remove red light. In the past, I would need min 1500-1800 to get light green. In the past few months, it has gradually gone up. To even needing to exceed 3100. Each day seems to get worse. I have bought new filters to see if it helps - I have not changed them yet.
One concern is that my pump has been running 24/7 the past year as my automation system is done and part is not available. I recently programmed the pump itself to reduce load on pump. But I don't know if pumps can lose efficiency over time. The water jet in pool seems to be lower than what it used to be in the past...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does the gauge pressure change as you increase rpm?
Does the gauge return to zero with the pump off?

When you cleaned the filter cartriges, were they dirty?

What part is unavailable for your automation system?

Reactions: istreich
Open your filter and remove 1 cartridge. Re-assemble the filter and try the pump. Does the issue go away? No problem running your system a short time without a cartridge for testing. Five-year old cartridges (if they match your pump in age) may need a good chemical soak or replacing, and you can't always tell just by a good looking over.

Would be very, very unlikely that there is a mechanical issue with the pump it self, they're too good, but you could have a clogged impeller if the above test doesn't improve matters. With the pump off (not an insult, just a reminder) you should be able to remove the basket and reach into the the throat and feel the impeller eye. If there is anything in it that doesn't feel like plastic it might be clogged. With a relatively foliage-free yard and a cover many times that is an easily overlooked problem.

you guys are great! I am not right by the pool but will be later tonight and tomorrow and can check above recommendations. Really helpful suggestion for pump check. Did not know.
Was thinking of doing a SLAM to address algae question. Still better done with Bleach or ok to use Dichlor as bleach is a pain to find? Suggestions on bleach welcome ;)

Cartridges were not spotless but not really bad. more "greasy" than anything. Very few debris as pool cover is closed 95% of the time and it was not open during winter. But it may still be time to change them as ties are starting to break. Good idea of trying to run without the filters to see what happens. And I am starting to question if gauge is working as it rarely moves... Including when I increase RPM...

Part missing is really upgrade from Intellitouch to Intellicenter. My motherboard seems to be dead (second time) and it makes more sense to upgrade to Intellicenter than to replace board or fix chip (probably lightning...). Interested if anyone knows where I could source Pentair 522047. Big supply chain issues...

All suggestions and help welcome! Including most basic ones that tend to be overlooked ;-)

Will also keep you posted of what I find out.

Big thanks!

Quick update:
- ran OCLT and loss was not completely clear but possible. I have decided to run a SLAM and am in the middle of it. It had been a few years and I had forgotten the joys of it ;-) Started last night and monitoring/adjusting regularly.
- I will swap cartridges this week once SLAM is complete (I hope).
- I have checked the impeller and I could not feel unusual. Just the plastic blades.

Pool is clear and if it was not for this flow issue, it would look perfect. How do algae impact flow/pressure and/or SWG? Once I am done with SLAM and assuming it was the issue, would I see an increase in flow?
I can't say for sure but it seem that water flow (at return jets) seems weaker than it used to be in the past. Does it help/say anything?

Thanks again

Iwan

Iwan,

As the algae is captured by the filter, the flow through the filter will be less, and the filter pressure will go up. It is kind of like putting your thumb over the end of a hose. Pressure goes up, but flow goes down.

Once your algae is gone, and you clean the filter, the flow and pressure should return to normal.

When doing a SLAM it is not unusual to have to clean your filter very often.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. Would it make sense to change my filter cartridges now or at the end of SLAM? It is a pain to clean filter and trying to minimize times :)
I have four brand new filters ready to go in. Just waiting for the right time and sequence.

Iwan,

Not sure it makes a lot of difference... It is not like the algae is going to ruin the new filters, you will just need to clean them like normal.

If you suspect your old filters are not working well, then it makes sense to change to the new ones now.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Quick update.
After a few days of SLAM, it looks like you were right and I got over the issue. I also replaced my filter cartridges (overdue).
As a result, my SWG flow light turns green with 1150 RPM (vs. 3100+ before!) and the pool looks perfect.
I am doing one more OCLT tonight before adding CYA tomorrow and getting back to "normal".
Thanks everyone for the help here - it is great to have the forum and friendly/knowledgeable experts like all of you.

Last thing on my list is sourcing Pentair 522047 kit... All suggestions welcome!

Thanks again

Iwan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.