Annapolis,MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
Well, my testing kit came to today. I was very excited.
My Daughter and I tested the pool today, here are the numbers. I want to open soon.
It is green. So when I open in the next two weeks. In addition to raising the FC, how do I lower the TA?

FC=0
TA =165
CYA=0
PH=7.2
CH=250

WATER TEMP 45

Thanks
Damon

well done on a reliable test kit
ta will gradually drop each time you add acid to lower your ph
keep your ph in low 7's and ta will take care of itself
if you are obsessive
you can aerate the water to force the ph to rise quickly

I would suggest redoing the TA test after reading Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

New reagents for the TA test tend to give higher than actual TA results. It is chemically difficult to have a pH of 7.2 with a TA of 165. And TA should be in whole 10's, as the test is one drop is 10 ppm to the color change using a 25 ml water sample.

Reactions: wireform
Your water test has some red flags. You should not be able to have a pH of 7.2 with a TA 100+. As Marty suggested redo your TA test following the directions and wiping the tip between each drop.

Green water, 0 FC, 0 CYA and low pH is not a good combination.

Before you add any stabilizer please do the following - add chlorine for 10 ppm and test your free chlorine after 30-minutes. You likely have ammonia in your water if you lost 80%+ of FC in 30 minutes. Also test your CC after the FC test.

Report back what you find and we will help you down the right path to get your pool open.

If you haven't I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Hey,
Thank you for your help.
I tested the TA again. This time I did it again and it came out 130.
Everything was pretty much the same. I have well water at my home, maybe I should have that tested as well.

It is always good to know the pH, TA, and CH of your fill water. Don't waste your reagents testing for chlorine or CYA on fill water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.