Got a Leak

duade

Aug 11, 2020
Chicago
Good evening TFP.

Had a leak early last summer. Im lucky enough to have a friend in the plumbing business that has an under water microphone. He came over and we found the leak where the liner meets the stairs. Tightened the screws and the leak was solved.

Noticed an increase in water usage around the 4th this year. Did two bucket tests which confirmed leak was more than evaporation. Certain its not the equipment. Pretty sure it is not the plumping. I believe it is the liner. Friend came over with the hydrophone. Cant locate the leak.

In doing some research, I found this electric leak detector (starts at about the 3 minute mark):

I was hoping an electrical expert like @JamesW or @mas985 could give some insight how this electrical detection works and if a DIY set up is possible.

Thanks

The first device is a hydrophone like your friend used to find the first leak. Those will only work if the leak is large enough to cause a loud enough noise to detect although water is pretty good a conducting sound. Most electronic leak detectors you can buy online are of this variety.

The second device appears to use conductivity as many electronic leak detection (ELD) devices do. A leak presents as a higher conduction path so would make the received signal larger. They place a ground rod in the yard and then use the current level as a sound source. I think the guy said they use a square wave which is very easy to generate (555). The pole device seems to have two sensors and more than likely they are two inputs to a differential amplifier. This makes the device somewhat directional so by hold one sensor closer to the leak, the sound becomes louder and more distinct. The diff amp only triggers when the plus side is higher than the minus side but not the other way around. Should be fairly easy to build one but you may be able to buy one as well.

[EDIT] - Should have added than many of the functions you could probably purchase as pre-fab boards such as this:

Last edited:
Reactions: duade
Thank you Mark, If you can point me in the right direction, I can experiment from there.

It is a 2410 version A

I have a better print out of the manual at work if I have to post a better copy.

Attachments

• Service monitor.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    399 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 2
This is a high frequency generator and monitor. It won't be useful in replicating an ELD. That is mostly for RF transmission line testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.