Good Price? Houston Texas

shwaun

Aug 5, 2016
huntsville,tx
I have been a lurker for many years, have finally convinced my wife into jumping in with me on a pool. Would like to show you some images and also give price quote to see if this is a good deal.

Pool size is 11x15' x34'
pool area is 437 ft.²
17,807 gallons
573 deck area
721 ft.² of sundeck existing patio
3 foot diameter 12 inch height light stone fire pit
Pentair color LED lights

Postimage.org — free image hosting / image upload -image

would love to know your thoughts and experiences. I live near Houston Texas.

Shwaun- hiya :handwave:

You don't mention the equipment, but with the right equipment that would be a pretty good price in my neck of the woods for that pool. What are your choices for filter, sanitation, pumps....?

Yip :flower:

Filtration system a Pentair 520 SF media filter
filter pump a pentair inTele flow 4/160 VS pump
heater: Sta rite 400,000 BTU max ether
Pool cleaner: Polaris 280 with booster pump
two skimmersSix inlets
Two 250 Watt Pantair electric pool lights

My suggestion is to lose the Polaris (saves money on that extra pump) and get a robot cleaner instead. You just have to have an safety outlet within reach of the pool.

Otherwise nice large cartridge filter is good.

I wonder if a 3rd light might be needed.

How will you sanitize the pool? Liquid chlorine? Salt Water Generator? (Hopefully not with pucks?)

Yippee :flower:

Pool companies always upcharge for their stuff but they that's because they also warranty said items. If you forgo the booster pump and Polaris and just go for the robot you will probably save a few hundred off the bat and few more dollars in the long run when comparing electric costs. Some people swear by the robots. I personally don't mind my pressure cleaner (although it could do a better job cleaning) as the one nice thing is it always stays in the pool. Do a bit of googling and see what thinks fits your needs.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Houston is a good location to give people in the rest of the country an idea where Huntsville is. (btw, I love the rolling hills up there!.) But to people living in the many suberbs in and around Houston, you're a good ways off to try to compare pool prices. You're about an hour and a half drive from here. It sounds like a good bid compared to my area in Cypress considering the equipment you listed, dimensions, and pool features. Is the spa in the diagrams included in the cost? Are the 'Pentair color LED lights' and '250 Watt Pentair electric pool lights' you later mentioned the same thing? If not, get the LED color lights. I really like your design - good job on the shelf and benches! It looks like you're going to have a nice amount of decking, and I love the terraced levels.

Is this the bid you have narrowed down to, or the only bid you have so far? You'll get a better comparison of prices in your area with 3-4 bids, but I'm not sure how many PB's are in the Huntsville area.

I agree with Yippee - ditch the Polaris cleaner and booster pump. I love my robot cleaner. She does a fabulous job of cleaning the floor, walls, and waterline tile. For me the other benefit is that the robot is not in the water all the time. It annoys me to have that floating line in my way when swimming. I have heard of others who are like PoolingAround and prefer having their cleaner in the pool all the time. So a cleaner is another choice based on personal opinion.

Glad you convinced your wife to get a pool!!! Since you've been lurking for many years, I'm guessing you've also read TFP's method of water maintenance. When your wife sees how easy it is to have the prettiest crystal clear water (and the safest), she will LOVE having the pool!!! I never imagined it would be so easy.

When you get a chance, post pictures of your backyard where your pool will be going in! The more info you can give us, the more we can give you our opinions! (if you want them - Lol!!!)

Take care,
Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since pricing varies over the country so much even between Houston, The Woodlands, Conroe and Huntsville it is probably going to be hard to say until you talk to someone in Huntsville with a pool that was recently built. You are probably seeing a lot of expenses built in for all the contractors to drive out there from Houston. Assuming the spa is included (not sure why else you would want a heater) it seems like an okay price. But who is this cheaper builder and why are they so much cheaper than everyone else? Just be careful going with the lowest bid and get referrals etc. Another thing to consider is building the pool and getting a stand-alone spa. Otherwise I think you are on the right track - go with VS pump, LED lights, and the Robot for sure.

That would be a very reasonable price in my area but I am not in Texas :). I agree that if the quote is an outlier (very low or high relative to others), it's a good idea to make sure you understand what it includes and the reason for the difference.

As for the cleaner, we have the Polaris and like it. I think it depends whether you want to leave it in the pool all the time or prefer a robot which has to be put in / taken out. I think the additional cost of the polaris is nominal relative to the cost of building the pool.

Well after thinking about it and going through the options, I've decided to Nix the hot tub and also nix The permanent fireplace...This way I don't have to go ahead and add propane tanks and piping. And I've extended the pool now so it looks like it's going be 42 long 27 why and 18 wide at the deep end. With roughlyThe pool area being 842 ft.² and the perimeter footage being 117 linear feet, Within extra 721 ft.² of Sundeck on the existing patio, i'm looking at about 53,000....

Well after thinking about it and going through the options, I've decided to Nix the hot tub and also nix The permanent fireplace...This way I don't have to go ahead and add propane tanks and piping. And I've extended the pool now so it looks like it's going be 42 long 27 why and 18 wide at the deep end. With roughlyThe pool area being 842 ft.² and the perimeter footage being 117 linear feet, Within extra 721 ft.² of Sundeck on the existing patio, i'm looking at about 53,000....

Great decisions!!! I'd love having a bigger pool!!! Show us the pictures!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.