Good Morning

I can think of at least two others! Now I can see every tiny little spec of a leaf on the bottom! And I'll never likely ever get into some public pool again. Certainly not a hot tub!! The curse of owning a TFP!

28d674b41cd25dd04e8484156b1c034d.jpg

10 inches of rain floated this little baby right out of the hole. I hope we have that figured out

I’m hoping for coping and maybe concrete soon

Yup! All the way out.

French drain from the north side of the house lets out right at the head of the pool. I told them, not the sharpest knives. I also told them when we hit one foot, two feet, three feet deep.

They have extended the French drain well past the pool now. Seems ok at this point

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are bleach products that have additives for this and that. They are not recommend by TFP, nor should they be used in your pool. But "straight" bleach, that without any additives, is chemically identical to "pool" chlorine, and one will not damage the finish of the pool any more or less than the other. To be accurate, the active ingredient in each is identical, one may be diluted more or less than the other.

One look at the active ingredient will answer that for you. Make sure it does not have any pretty smells, is not low splash, no fabric protection, etc. Just plain bleach.

What your PB said is why I use the word "Chlorine" or if I want to get fancy "sodium hypochlorite" instead of saying "bleach". Yeah it is the same stuff but some people don't know or understand that.

Kim:kim:

I spoke to my pb today. She told me straight bleach is not the same stuff in pool chlorine. Said, chemically different and would damage the finish of the pool.

What are your thoughts?

Pool builders are great at building pools, as they should be, but most only echo what pool stores and chemical companies preach.

In simple terms chlorine is a gas. When bound to salt it is sodium hypochlorite. Mixed with water it is commonly referred to as bleach, regardless of use.

Straight bleach is exactly what you want for the pool regardless of where it is bought. You do not want additives like scents, thickeners, polymers etc.

If your PB is referring to the added CYA in trichlor/dichlor just tell them that you plan to manage that independently with “straight CYA”. That should generate an amusing look on the PB’s face.

I spoke to my pb today. She told me straight bleach is not the same stuff in pool chlorine. Said, chemically different and would damage the finish of the pool. What are your thoughts?

Please add your signature now that your pool is in.

Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Chemically, there are minor differences, although chlorine is chlorine is chlorine, no matter what form it comes in - stabilized or not stabilized (bottom line). I heard that many times from the pool store employees (first few months) that liquid chlorine will bleach my liner. If so, then why did they sell 12.5% Liquid Shock?

Liquid is so predictable (you know how much to add based on pool size). The only thing you need to remember is to pour it slowly in front of a return in the deep end, shooting the liquid straight in the pool with the pump running. The mix time should be at least 1 hour before shutting off, if possible longer. The other minor/major difference, (unless performing a SLAM), is to add to the pool either early morning or late at night out of the sun.

I am not a chemist but I do understand some chemistry. When I probed her statement she could not quantify.

I bet they give me strips to test with?

hehe we had one build where they gave them an OPEN bottle of test strips that had the words SAMPLE stamped on it :roll: Talk about cheaping out!!!! Fortunately they had already ordered their good test kit.

Have we talked about test kits yet?

Kim;kim:

My apologies! I thought I had added my info into signature. I access through tapatalk. Does that affect anything?

Yep, I’m all in on a tf100 once they give me the strips they are going to give me. I’ve been ordered to hold in place until we verify what they are giving us

My apologies! I thought I had added my info into signature. I access through tapatalk. Does that affect anything?

You do not have a signature in your profile.

Open the forum using a browser. Log in and then add your signature. Be sure the box is checked under Quick Reply that says 'Show your signature'.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support