Goo-B-Gone on Vinyl Liner?

randys

Gold Supporter
Oct 28, 2018
Clayton, NC
Not sure if this question belongs here, but I figure that folks here would know best on whether this would mess with chemistry or destroy my liner...

The concrete forms used around our pool had a strong, sticky adhesive (basically a sticker) that stuck to the liner. When removed, it seemed some of the adhesive remained. It's the kind of sticky adhesive you'd use go-b-gone to remove the obnoxious remnant of a sticker. So my question is, what can I use to remove the goo? Would goo-b-gone damage the liner? The label says it is phosphate free (Amazon.com: Goo Gone Original Liquid - 8 Ounce - Surface Safe Adhesive Remover Safely removes Stickers Labels Decals Residue Tape Chewing Gum Grease Tar)

I'd hope it isn't acetone. If it is I wouldn't use it. What is a better solution? Is there something I can use that is abrasive enough to get the adhesive off, but not abrasive enough to destroy my liner & chemically safe for the pool?

the color of the liner is just ink and it's printed on, so it not really abrasion to worry about, but its removing the ink. If you have a piece of scrap liner left over, try the goo gone on that, or even WD40.

If you dont have a scrap, use some on an inconspicuous place in the pool and just lightly rub a tiny spot, maybe with a Q Tip to see if it removes the ink. If not, then you should be fine.

Please let us know how the Goo-be-gone worked on the scrap piece of vinyl? For future reference, y'know?

I had the exact same problem with those darn concrete forms on my fiberglass pool too. I just can't remember what I used to clear it off?

Maddie :flower:

I ended up not. The bottle says not to use it on that material. Every once in a while, when I'm in a productive mood in the pool I tackle one whole section. It comes off by rubbing with your finger, especially after a few months soaking in the sun.

I wonder if rubbing alcohol will work? It takes off sticky glue type things elsewhere, why not there?? On a rag rubbed on. Worth a try first on a scrap to make sure it doesn't affect the dyes in the vinyl. :)

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.