Goldline Controls AQ*Rite Controller reading "Cold" in July; pool T'stat shows 89F.

txreap

Gold Supporter
Apr 29, 2009
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Howdy from Round Rock, TX. My 1st post in some time, but I know I can count on y'all. My controller was installed in '97 when pool was built. I did replace the smaller pcba a few years ago with an aftermarket unit. I have also replaced that funky quarter-sized component on the main board once or twice. The past few weeks I have noticed my controller registering as "cold" and not generating Chlorine as a result (Cl gas from the reaction of electricity charge with salt you purists :) Also, the salt reading has inexplicably gone up; 7/7 it shows 5K. Earlier on same date it was 4300. When I use salt test strips purchased and tested 7/6, the strip indicated 2.8K. Lastly, salt cell is at least going into its 3rd season. Any suggestions for how to get to root cause of problem? I have not yet replaced any water this year. Looking forward to some trouble-shooting advice. Thanks!

The temperature reading is incorrect due to a failed thermistor in the cell or a bad meter in the circuit board. Test the thermistor in the cell.

Holding the plug vertically with the cord going down and looking at the connection points. 1 is top left, 2 is top right, 3 is second down left and so on with 9 being lower left and 10 being lower right.

• 1) Black - Power to cell
  • 2) White - Power to cell
  • 3) Black - Power to cell
  • 4) White - Power to cell
  • 5) Brown - Not used
  • 6) Red - Goes to thermistor
  • 7) Orange - Not used
  • 8) Yellow - Not used
  • 9) Green - Not used
  • 10) Blue - Goes to thermistor.
To test the thermistor test between points 6 and 10 using a multimeter, the resistance should follow a 10k thermistor chart.

OK. Will likely need my handy/dandy neighbor to close out this task, but let's see if I was able to correctly interpret the chart: If mercury thermometer is 89F, I should see 7.506 OHMs at points 6 & 10?

At 89 degrees, the thermistor should read 7,506 ohms. That's seven thousand five hundred and six.

You have a 3 year warranty on the cell from the date of purchase if you have the receipt.

Last edited:
At 89 degrees, the thermistor should read 7,506 ohms. That's seven thousand five hundred and six.

You have a 3 year warranty on the cell from the date of purchase if you have the receipt.
thanks JamesW. FYI, new glasses ordered 2 weeks ago ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.