Going to the Scary pool store for liquid chlorine, how much do I "need"?

Mar 27, 2013
Newark, DE
Hello, as the title is I have to resort to going to the pool store to pick up liquid chlorine, all the other local places are out of it. for a week or 2. The price isn't too bad 22.99 for a pack of 4 x 1 gallon not sure if it is 10 or 12.5% though. A bit overpriced but manageable. So here is the situation how many cases should I get to last that long?

my info should by in my signature, but the quick 19,000 gallon vinyl inground pool, no salt. Full Sun.
water is green can not see the bottom in the shallow end 4 ft.
still some debris on the bottom but i did rake quite a bit out with the leaf net a couple days ago.
chemistry is
chlorine = didn't bother
CYA = 0
PH = 8.2
TA = 140
CH = vinyl liner
Water Temp = didn't check but felt between 70 - 75

I have on hand, Borax, Baking soda, DE media, and Muriatic Acid
I imagine I will need to SLAM at 10 correct? or do I need to do something else until the CYA comes up from the filter getting turned on.

TIA

I went thru (2) 5 gals of 12.5% in two weeks slamming, but pool wasn't green. Do they have refillable? If its green, I'd get 4 to start with. You'll probably need more.

I go to the pool store all the time, but i only buy what I need. Want to keep them in business because they are close by.

I picked up 4 cases of 12.5% 4 x 1gal per case @ 22.99 a case. After my veterans discount it ended up being 87 bucks. A bit over priced but better that powder.

I started the pump up and put in 2 gals and brushed the sides and it ran for about 5 hours before clogging up. I couldn’t do a backwash due to no light and thunderstorms rolling thru. I’m heading out to do that and get some new ph cya and chlorine levels.

Thanks again for your advice.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Mental note. When you SLAM a swamp pool and have shut the pump down overnight. Do not turn the pump back on to the return line before backwashing. although cool looking green streams coming out, it kinda negates alot of filtering.

I live in southeastern PA. I see you are in Newark, looks like your closest Redners is maybe Elkton. Throughout the summer a box of 4 - 1 gallon 12.5% liquid chlorine is sold there for $10. Might be worth the phone call and the drive next time you want to stock up. The box is labeled Pool Shock.

I recently got my pump replaced. While chatting with the pool company on the phone I mentioned the difficulty finding liquid chlorine early in the season. Their response was we sell that and it's 12.5%, which you can't find in stores. I told her I've been buying 12.5% at Redners for 4 years at a price point that literally cannot be beat. She didn't tell me how much hers would cost me after that. :laughblue:When Redner's doesn't have the box of 4, the single gallons are $2.89. Still better than walmarts, lowes, and HD price for 10%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.