Going to get a 2-speed motor to replace current single speed - what HP to choose?

gonfishin

Gold Supporter
Jun 13, 2017
Rochester, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Listening to my 1HP single speed motor and thinking of all the $s being consumed has given me the itch to replace. We can't swing the $s to go to a variable speed at this point, so I've decided to go for a 2-speed.

Given my pool size (around 9600 gal) and sand filter, I'm thinking Magnetek A.O. Smith 1 HP Thru-Bolt 48Y Dual Speed Low Amps Motor - BN37V1 - INYOPools.com is probably what I should go with. Same HP, just have the advantage of 2-speed. But do I really need a 1HP motor?

Could I go with 3/4-horse?

Last edited:
Keith, thanks for the comment. I'm not sure I understand the question. The label on the pump shows 1.0 HP with a 1.0 SF.
That is full rated. The SF of 1.0 makes it a true 1 HP pump.

Be sure to see what will mate up with your wet end. Though going down in hp of the motor typcially means the impeller does not need to be changed.

Reactions: splashpad
That is full rated. The SF of 1.0 makes it a true 1 HP pump.

Be sure to see what will mate up with your wet end. Though going down in hp of the motor typcially means the impeller does not need to be changed.

Thanks, Marty. I was thinking that was the clarification requested, but I'm still learning a lot about motors, RPMs, GPMs, and such. I am looking at the options based on prior research and information received from INYOPools.com Q&A for replacement motor. I will double check with them before finalizing the order.

Originally, I was thinking about going bigger (to a 1.5HP). And then I kept reading through forum posts here. Seeing people with larger pools and smaller HP pump motors has made me reconsider. When we bought the pool, we simply took the package and didn't question size of pump and/or filter.

As far as other upgrades on the horizon, we're planning to hard plumb from the skimmer to the pump, and do the same for the return to the pump (hopefully before next year's opening). I'd also like to add a 2nd return on the opposite side of the pool from where the current return is. No water features or other things which could be impacted by pump HP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.