Going on vacation, should I lower the pH?

pcm2a

Aug 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, Tn
Leaving tomorrow for 6 days. I have calculated out how much liquid chlorine to dump in but my question is around pH. Every week I'm having to add some muratic acid to keep the pH down. Should I also dump in a bunch of muratic acid knowing that over the next week pH is going to rise?

Aw, the age ol' question. How to leave a TFP pool for a week? I'm trying to solve for that with automation. But manually?

If you only add MA once a week, does that mean your pool stays between 7.2 and 7.8 for a week normally? Then, yes, bring it down to 7.2 before you go.

If my ol' brain remembers correctly: the bigger issue might be the chlorine. How are you doing your calculations? It's my understanding that while it doesn't hurt to goose your chlorine level (you can bring it up to SLAM level and it's safe for the pool and for folks to swim in), that doesn't mean the chlorine will last. The chlorine you add above and beyond the recommended range will burn off faster. I think because it then exceeds the FC/CYA ratio, which is what protects chlorine in the pool. Put another way: if you've figured out that your pool uses a half gallon of chlorine a day, and you dump in three gallons to last six days, you'll find that a lot of that three gallons will burn off quickly and by day two or three you'll be back down to a gallon or less, which will then burn off at your normal rate. So you could be exposing your pool to FC 0 a day or two or three before you get back. Sorry, I don't know enough about this to do the math correctly, but it's in that ballpark.

That's why most rely on SWGs or pucks to leave their pool for several days. Pucks have their own set of problems for a TFP pool, but I know some people here use them in limited ways, and this is one of those ways, because they are slow dissolving and will dose for some number of days. Those that get away with the puck method have pools that lose or exchange water regularly (like because of large amounts of rain).

Alternately, you could set up a handful of small bottles (like plastic soda bottles), and put in each a daily, or every-other-daily dose of chlorine and acid (not mixed together!! Separate bottle for each!!!). Mark the bottles with a sharpie pen: MON, TUE, WED, etc. Then just ask a friend or neighbor to drop by once a day (or every other day) and dump in the bottle(s) tagged for that day. A few minutes apart, if you have acid and chlorine scheduled for the same day. Or at least at opposite ends of the pool.

Include a case of beer for the "doser" and you'll be all set.

Every 1-2 weeks I have to bring the pH down from 8 to 7.4. I refuse to use a puck because I am dealing with a high CYA due to pucks. My CYA was 120+ last year and with normal rain, water adding, backwashing I'm now down to about 70. I put in about 80oz a day x 5 days is just over 3 gallons. I was going to add 5-6 gallons to compensate for the addition burn off.

Is it better to let the pH creep higher over the week then adjust when I return or have it extra low before I leave. Rephrasing this question, when no one is home and the pool is not in use which would be more harmful to the pool a pH of 7.2 or a pH of 8.0?

Low pH tends to deteriorate (etch) plaster. High pH promotes calcium scaling. There may be other considerations, but I know of those two. If I had to choose between the two? Calcium can be removed with elbow grease. Etching cannot be repaired. Neither will likely occur to any great degree within a week. Do you track your CSI? That's a good indicator. Adjust your pH not more than would take your CSI out of range: -0.6 to 0.6 is considered safe. I try for -0.3 to 0.3 in my pool.

If it takes two weeks to go from 7.4 to 8, then just take it down to 7.4 or 7.5. You should still be "in the sevens" in six days, right? I'm not sure why you're concerned about that. 7.4 is fine for a pool.

Understand about the pucks. Pucks are the devil, and while others do use them, they'll never make it into my pool again. That's why I'm trying to solve for this issue with automation (IntelliChlor SWG and IntellipH acid injector system). No help to you today, though.

Nobody can help you out with a few mid-week doses of liquid chlorine?

Every 1-2 weeks I have to bring the pH down from 8 to 7.4. I refuse to use a puck because I am dealing with a high CYA due to pucks. My CYA was 120+ last year and with normal rain, water adding, backwashing I'm now down to about 70. I put in about 80oz a day x 5 days is just over 3 gallons. I was going to add 5-6 gallons to compensate for the addition burn off.

Is it better to let the pH creep higher over the week then adjust when I return or have it extra low before I leave. Rephrasing this question, when no one is home and the pool is not in use which would be more harmful to the pool a pH of 7.2 or a pH of 8.0?

Have you tested your Total Alkalinity recently? If I remember correctly, high TA will cause PH to creep up like that. Chlorine is more effective at the higher end of the acceptable PH range and 7.6 is not a problem. Aerating the water with a pool robot or fountain or just splashing around also raises PH.

Mike.

Mike.

Nobody can help you out with a few mid-week doses of liquid chlorine?
I'd rather fill it in with dirt than inconvenience someone else with my pool :) I want to reduce anything that is electronic that can break. If I could figure out how to run the pool without pumps I would do that. Adding a SWG in is just one more thing to break at the worst time possible.

I am probably worrying over nothing. When we went out of town back in April I put in one additional gallon over the normal amount and a week later my FC was high when I returned. It is much hotter now.

My pool is about the same volume as yours and 1 gallon of 12.5% sodium hypo adds about 6ppm of free chlorine. I use a few ppm/day in the bright sun when the pool is clean and that's not enough to get me through a week.
I probably didn't state my 1 gallon sentence properly. When I went out of town for a week I had been putting in 64oz of 10% liquid chlorine a day. So I put in 64oz x 6 plus 1 additional gallon to account for extra use of the high chlorine. I was not putting in one single gallon.

For this week I am going to put in 80oz x 5 plus 2 or 3 additional gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.