Going broke using bleach, HELP!

kerig01

Sep 5, 2021
Leander, TX
Okay, I'm fully converted to LC; no more tabs... but wow this is getting expensive. My current stats are:

20,000 in ground, plaster pool, 3 years old.
PH 7.5
FC 2.5 to 7 (this is my question, details coming below)
TA 130
CYA 140 (yes I know this is horrible but I cant drain and refill yet. I need to wait a few more months)

So with no tabs anymore I'm using bleach at 7.1% I bought from WalMart. My issue is every day I'm putting enough to get up to about 7 in FC but it drops down to around 2.5 in 24 hours! To get back to 7 with my crazy CYA it takes almost 1.5 gallons AKA $7 bucks a day! Needless to say I can't drop that kind of cash / LC into my pool on the daily. Is there anything I can do until I get the CYA down to not use so much? Should I keep using the tabs until I can drain? Any other ideas?

Also, can someone please assure me that once I do get my CYA in check for next season I'm not going to need 1.5 gallons of bleach a day all swimming season?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Unfortunately you are in a bad position until you lower the CYA. Tabs would just make things worse. You probably have a bit of algae going on as well with an FC that low. A CYA close to 150 requires too much chlorine. As FYI, my 18K pool would take 1/2 gallon of 10% chlorine each day with a summer CYA of 60-70. The sooner you can exchange water the better I'm afraid.

Reactions: markayash

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
Like pat said probably cheaper to drain half the water ( or more ) and bring your stabilizer down assuming your in a safe location and don't have to worry about it floating. I have been there before and even with that I was having to SLAM mine 3 or 4 times a year.

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
Your minimum FC (7.5%) of 140 CYA is 10.5. Many of us prefer 10% for some wiggle room. You’re leaving the door wide open for algae at 2.5 - 7 FC and the daily loss is almost certainly the easily stages of a bloom.

You should Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to know for sure.

Also, HD / Lowe’s / Ace hardware might have 10% ‘liquid shock’ or ‘chlorinating liquid’ still

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
Would adding a SWG help? A salt water generator seems to be pretty popular for you long swim season.
That's what I did and it makes life so much easier. I was out of town for 2 1/2 weeks and came back to a clear pool
They also recommend keeping your CYA around 70 or 80 with a SWG so may not have to dump as much water. Will see what your fellow Texan Pat thinks.

pmahosky

Jun 2, 2021
Austin TX
I also live in Leander and have a 13,000 gallon pool that was installed in May. I add 40-50 ounces of 10% bleach (Lowes) every morning (less when I have the 12% from Leslie's) to go from an FC of 4.5-5 to 6.5 - 7.0. My CYA is 40. That would equate to about 70 ounces per day for a 20,000 gallon pool for 10% bleach and more for 7.1% bleach......but not 1.5 gallons a day.

BowserB

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
"Old" Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Yes, your CYA is a problem. Does your local Walmart have a pool section? I've bought 10% chlorine at Katy Walmart for a long time. Don't get your chlorine from the cleaning and laundry supplies aisles. All that said, prices and availability of liquid chlorine drove me finally to a salt water chlorine generator. Might be worth a look for you too.

kerig01

Sep 5, 2021
Leander, TX
How hard is it to install one of these inteliclor 40000 devices to my existing pentair system? Looks like for $1,500 I could convert over. The only “chlorine” equipment is just the tab shoot. I guess remove that and instal the swg in the same spot?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

mkolb

Jun 1, 2018
White Lake, Michigan
Okay, I'm fully converted to LC; no more tabs... but wow this is getting expensive. My current stats are:

20,000 in ground, plaster pool, 3 years old.
PH 7.5
FC 2.5 to 7 (this is my question, details coming below)
TA 130
CYA 140 (yes I know this is horrible but I cant drain and refill yet. I need to wait a few more months)

So with no tabs anymore I'm using bleach at 7.1% I bought from WalMart. My issue is every day I'm putting enough to get up to about 7 in FC but it drops down to around 2.5 in 24 hours! To get back to 7 with my crazy CYA it takes almost 1.5 gallons AKA $7 bucks a day! Needless to say I can't drop that kind of cash / LC into my pool on the daily. Is there anything I can do until I get the CYA down to not use so much? Should I keep using the tabs until I can drain? Any other ideas?

Also, can someone please assure me that once I do get my CYA in check for next season I'm not going to need 1.5 gallons of bleach a day all swimming season?
You are still going to use quite a bit of liquid chlorine.. I keep my CYA around 50; FC around 8-9 PPM; which allows it to drift down each day.. Putting in about 1/2 gallon of 12.5% in daily to maintain.. Ends up costing me about $2/day..

wireform

Silver Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
Yes you are on the right track with SWCG but initially it won't help because I'm pretty sure you already have something growing so you will need a slam too. You need to do Exchange no drain bring it down to a manageable CYA otherwise again it'll consume lots of chlorine making it very costly. Once water is algae free bring the CYA up for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread