Glass tiles vs ceramic?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
I'm considering tiling our pool.

The glass mosaic options look nice, but I worry about the long term performance of glass. Grout and glue sticks nicely to ceramic tiles, less so to glass. The last thing I want is tiles falling off, and cracking and reduced durability.

What's the TFP verdict?

At this stage I'm thinking 48mm ceramic mosaic.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
If you do the correct prep and use the correct stuff you should be good with glass tiles. MANY TFP pools have glass tile (LOVE some good glass BLING!) without any problems.

OP
OP
T

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
The glass ones comes with all different backings. mesh, dots, etc.

I've heard you mustn't use mesh because it makes them fall off, but I've heard other people say the worst ones to use are dots ... I have no idea which to use!

tampatommy

May 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I tell you what. Whatever you do, make sure your thinset is the same color as your grout. Dont risk having to chip all of the thinset out of the joints with a razor knife. 6x8 spa took a solid day.

Spookie

Silver Supporter
Dec 20, 2014
Highland, CA
I'm kind of in the same situation. I'm having a pool built and to add 90 square feet of glass tile, the cost to upgrade the tile is $600. I was pretty happy about that. Then I saw they want $5,400 to install it!!!! I figured it is the same as installing ceramic tile...piece of cake. So off to the interweb I went. Turns out, installing glass tile (properly) in a pool is a bit of a task. I would love to find a step by step process showing the proper way to install glass tile, along with the correct materials. I know it's something I could do. After reading the following site that I attached, I kind of understand why I am being charged more to have the glass tile installed. However; probably not $5,400 more. I'm hoping to do it myself.

https://www.poolspanews.com/how-to/design-construction/special-report-glass-tile_o