Flower Mound, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My fan motor appears to have gone out on my chiller. I checked the breaker and it seems to be fine. Chiller pump is working and both pump and fan are wired to the same breaker. I know nothing about electrical components except how to turn them on and off. Is there anything else I should check before ordering a new motor? Also, do I have any options other than the Glacier replacement motor? They want $500 for a 1/4 hp motor, which seems outrageous. It has a long shaft for the fan blade and a unique 3 point mounting bracket that is part of the housing. I searched the model number, but found nothing. Thanks for any help!
1598966388895.jpeg

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Does the fan spin smoothly by hand or is it all bound up or feels like it's grinding on something when you try to move the fan blades? If the shaft of the fan spins freely and easily, then it might be nothing more than the start capacitor on the motor which, on a lot of motors, is a fully serviceable items and usually costs less than $20 to replace. Depending on how the motor is designed, it could also be the centrifugal switch that takes the start cap out of the circuit when the motor reaches a certain rotational speed. Unfortunately, this will require someone with some familiarity with fan motors. An HVAC contractor should be able to diagnose the motor as your chiller is nothing more than A/C unit designed to cool pool water. A/C compressor and fan motors blow capacitors all the time and are one of the main types of service calls HVAC guys get when a homeowner calls about a non-functioning AC unit....

jark87

Silver Supporter
Jun 5, 2011
Flower Mound, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Thanks for the replies. Fan blade will not spin at all. There is a glob of what appears to be dried glue on top of one of the blades that looks like it might have dropped down from the motor. Of course, it may have been there all along and I just never noticed it. There are a number of electric motor repair shops nearby that give free estimates, so I’ll disconnect it and take it to one of them. It’s only 5 years old, so I’m a little surprised that the motor would go out so quickly, even though I run it every day during the summer. My pool pump motor lasted much longer and runs every day of the year.

I’ve drained the chiller and covered it for the winter. It was probably time to shut it down anyway. Pool got down to 72 last week when humidity dropped. Rain and high humidity along with mild air temps this week render it useless anyway. I’ll now have a project for a nice day this fall. 🙂