Gidday from Australia.

seangrips

Jan 28, 2022
Carool NSW, Australia
Framed Vinyl pool user, keeps it simple, I had been taking it down every March and putting it back up in October, remembering that Southern Summers are during Xmas. My current Pool is and 18' x 52" holding approximately 7000 gals. I'm currently running Chlorine as my sanitation, I tried Salt but the steel of the Framed pools isn't that accepting and the Salt Chlorinator only lasted 2 seasons. At the moment I have had the pool up for almost 2 years as with the Pandemic, I've spent alot of time at home and have been enjoying the pool.
Also currently running a Bestway 2000GPH Sandfilter and an Intex ZX300 Auto Cleaner with Siri controlling the timing from a Phillips Hue power point

Thanks for the welcomes guys.
Ive got a question about adding the Hayward Above Ground Wide Mouth SP1091WM.
When installing it, should you consider the lid to be above your overflow level so it doesn't over flow out the lid when it rains, my pool level only fluctuates a couple of inch's and I understand if the level gets too low it can cause problems with the pump.

I read in a you tube comment that someone swapped their flow direction (not at the pump, just at the pool) and put the Skimmer on the inlet as its higher, then used the outlets (x2) as the new inlets giving him a better flow rate.
I do understand why intex has 2 outlets, to comply with VGBA, so would keep 2 outlets running

I was thinking of similarly using the inlet for the skimmer to gain the height, but keeping one outlet as normal and a valve on the skimmer, so that if i have trouble with my water level I can close off the skimmer and still allow the pump to run, then use the other outlet as my new inlet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 12.09.55 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 12.09.55 am.png
    302.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
If the skimmer is at the proper height (with the water about halfway up the mouth under normal circumstances), then that allows you a couple inches of rain or evaporation.

You won't be walking away from the pool for long enough for either to matter. You'd have a swamp long before it overflowed or sucked air. No two seasons are the same and we all have to ticker with the water level at times.

Calling in @jseyfert3 who will have good thoughts on your plan.

Thanks for the welcomes guys.
Ive got a question about adding the Hayward Above Ground Wide Mouth SP1091WM.
When installing it, should you consider the lid to be above your overflow level so it doesn't over flow out the lid when it rains, my pool level only fluctuates a couple of inch's and I understand if the level gets too low it can cause problems with the pump.
I don't think it's possible to install a skimmer on an Intex pool such that the lid of the skimmer is higher than the point water will overflow the sides of the Intex. Here's my skimmer, it's installed about as high as you can go. You can't really put it much higher as the liner starts moving out at an angle to go around the upper support beams.
full

I read in a you tube comment that someone swapped their flow direction (not at the pump, just at the pool) and put the Skimmer on the inlet as its higher, then used the outlets (x2) as the new inlets giving him a better flow rate.
I do understand why intex has 2 outlets, to comply with VGBA, so would keep 2 outlets running
So just a quick terminology clarification. This confused me when I started reading about pools too. The general consensus on inlets and outlets is that they are in reference to the flow going into and out of the pump. Since an Intex has to openings that go into the pump, it has two inlets and one outlet. Outlets are also interchangeably called returns.

I don't see a benefit in changing the flow as you described. First off, you will likely need more lines anyway, and flex or hard lines you can put the skimmer anywhere you like.

Secondly, you want the outlet from the pump to be up high like it is, with the "eyeball" fitting that comes with it or a suitable replacement. You angle the eyeball to the side and it causes a gentle circular motion of the water that brings debris around so the skimmer can pick them up easier. Trying to use the two inlets as outlets would not give anywhere near as effective water motion for skimming I would think.

I was thinking of similarly using the inlet for the skimmer to gain the height, but keeping one outlet as normal and a valve on the skimmer, so that if i have trouble with my water level I can close off the skimmer and still allow the pump to run, then use the other outlet as my new inlet.
Yes, you want a valve on the skimmer no matter what you do. I installed my skimmer without a valve, and that's a mistake because you can't take the pump lid off to empty the basket without plugging the skimmer with something.

My ultimate plan was to leave the two inlets that came with the pool, connected to a tee with a valve like they are from the factory, and then tee this single joined line into the line coming from the skimmer, which would also have it's own valve. This would allow running either the skimmer alone, or you can throttle the valves to run the skimmer and the original inlets, or you can shut the skimmer off entirely and run just the original inlets.