Getting started with an SWG

Jul 30, 2007
I bought a ChlorEase Saltwater Chlorinator. Looks like it will be quite a bit of work to install. Is it worth doing? I'm having huge algae problems, and I'm fairly desperate. I'm only at the pool site (weekend place) on, well, weekends. :oops:

edit - moved by divnkd101

Grace, it will most probably be worth your effort to install the unit - as you've already spent the money on it. The nice folks here will help you with it (I can help you with the plumbing side, but if you plan on wiring it yourself - I may be of some help, but others here are better at the electrical side of things) - Any chance of posting a picture of the filter system so we can be of more specific help?

I hope that you have nothing but a 'Trouble Free Pool' and, towards that end, will proffer all the help I can :-D Welcome to this site :goodjob:

Hi Grace,

Your SWG will make your life
a little easier once its installed.

There are a few things that you need
to know before you install it.

1st- The Actual Cell must be installed
higher than the filter.

2nd- The cell must be the last thing
the water touches before it returns
to the pool.

3rd- Make sure you use proper glue for
pressure pipe. In Australia our pressure
glue is colored green (Not Clear)

Your water should flow like this...

Skimmer->Pump->Filter->SWG->Pool

Your pump plugs into the SWG control box
and the SWG control box plugs into
the power point where your pump used

to work from.

Hope this helps?

Take Care,

Michael Silvester

P.S Post a pic of your filter and plumbing right
here in this thread and I can talk you through it!

Grace,

Chlorinator will help you maintain the correct chlorine level once the algae is dead, and prevent it from appearing again but it will not help you to get rid of existing algae.

You would need to shock the pool with liquid chlorine until the algae is dead.

Gimpy said:
"1st- The Actual Cell must be installed
higher than the filter."

Michael, I'm curious about why you'd say that.

He probably means that there should be a gas trap when installing. It doesn't necessarily have to be higher than filter.
See page 11 of our user manual for correct cell installations:

http://www.autochlor.com.au/manuals/acrp.zip

Failure to make gas trap results in hydrogen accumulating inside the filter, and filter potentially blowing up. I know about 2 cases where filter blew up because of incorrect installation. In one of them they found the filter remains 2 blocks away from the house where it was installed.

Installation would depend on WHICH type of Chlorease she installed. There are three different types - two are stationary cells that attach to the inside of the pool wall from the top rail area and one is a standard inline.

Attachments

• Water Testing Instructions.pdf
    8.5 KB · Views: 0
Type of SWG I have

Mine is the type that hangs on the top railing of an aboveground pool. Thanks very much for the advice regarding what I can expect from the unit. Sounds like I have to get rid of the algae first. This is the first year I've been unable to "bring it to blue," and it's very frustrating. But I read the post about BBB and I'm going to try plain old bleach this weekend. If nothing else, I'll save some serious money. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Grace, the thing that really makes a difference is to be sure the chemical levels are right before adding a SWG, especially the passive cell type like the Chlorease. Get your FC/CC under control with a good shock treatment (lots of bleach) and make sure the PH is set correctly.

When you install that, make sure that it is in a spot where it gets GOOD flow from the return jet (turn the return eye so it faces that panel where it is installed or install it on the same panel as the return eye) and keep it close enough to the return to matter. You may need to do some adjusting with your pump run times to be sure its getting enough flow as well - the passive ones only work when your pump is on.

Attachments

• acid.jpg
    acid.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 8
Grace,

I also have the Chlorease unit that hangs over the side of the pool. I placed mine in the middle of the panel to the immediate right of the panel my returns are in, with my returns pointed to the right and down. I run my unit 12 hours a day along with my pump, and maintain a FC level of between 3.4 - 4.6. I rarely have to shock the pool. Cleaning it is a bit of a pain, but nothing real major.

If I can help, let me know.

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.