Getting Started-New build in Chester County PA

Jul 10, 2013
Chester County, PA
I've been a long time lurker on the forum but have just got serious about a pool. We're looking to put a deposit down within the next month or so for a winter/spring build hoping to be open by late April 2021. I was hoping to get some feedback on the specs provided from our first quote. We've solicited a few more quotes, however don't expect them back for a few weeks. This first quote is from the "premier" builder in the area. They warned us they'd be higher, but the feedback from neighbors who used this builder has been far better than with other builders, so they're an early favorite. Im hoping for any feedback on more questions I should ask, any "no brainer" upgrades, equipment changes, etc. We're considering upgrading to "Stonescapes" finish; any feedback on stonescapes vs quartzscaped? They're quoting $75K for this work. I also requested an option price for a boulder grotto/waterfall with slide over the top. Any feedback on the value of such a feature?? Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Their proposal....

-610 SF gunnite pool w/ 90 SF sunshelf (we're probably going to tweak the size a bit to increase the sunshelf)
-3.5' shallow end to 6' or 6.5' deep end
-engineered drawings and permit submission
-secure and pay for permit
-excavation and removal of soil, preserve top soil for reuse
-five hydrostatic relief plugs
-six steel reinforcing rods. all 1/2 rebar & 4 bond beam
-6" band of tile
-NPT Quartzscapes finish
-53SF Sta-rite System 3 DE filter
-Sta-rite intellipro VS pump
-2 deluxe extra large skimmers with catch baskets
-direct plumbing with individual neverlube valves
-double safety bottom drains with anti vortex lids
-dual through wall returns and 6 floor returns (does this sound right??)
-Auto pilot pool pilot digital nano, or digital nano +, or digital based on final volume
-2 Pentair 5G color LED lights
-1 LED bubbler in sunshelf
-6' love seat with step
-Pentair screen logic controller
-Pentair Ultratemp 125q 125,000 BTU heat pump
-Safety rope an floats
-Regrading of soil after deck installation
-Temporary construction fence
-Up to 200' electrical feed
-400SF of stamped concrete
-Lifetime transferable structural warranty
-Coverlon mesh winter cover with pump and anchors
-Polaris TR 35P with booster pump
-40SF poured concrete equipment pad

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP (officially) and congrats. :wave: Some things I thought of:
- For the concrete pad, verify if the plumbing is expected to be routed "up & in" through the concrete, or around and on-top; thinking of future repairs
- Update your profile city/state. Apparently you are in an area with a high water table, so other factors may apply
- With five hydrostatic plugs, any discussions about French Drains or a sump pump under the pool?

I'm sure other replies will follow. Food luck!

I’d welcome you but you’ve got 6 years seniority on me...... so how about a hello ? Hey 98 !!

Welcome to TFP (officially) and congrats. :wave: Some things I thought of:
- For the concrete pad, verify if the plumbing is expected to be routed "up & in" through the concrete, or around and on-top; thinking of future repairs
- Update your profile city/state. Apparently you are in an area with a high water table, so other factors may apply
- With five hydrostatic plugs, any discussions about French Drains or a sump pump under the pool?

I'm sure other replies will follow. Food luck!
Thanks for the welcome!

I will ask regarding the plumbing. No discussion about a french drain or anything like that. There are many homes around here that experience issues like water in their basement due to high ground water, but I haven't experienced anything like that. I will inquire as to why they are specifying 5 plugs though.

Thanks!

Do they have a particular reason for getting the Aquacal heat pump instead of Pentair like your other equipment?
I asked, and he said in their experience aquacal's are a better product. I'm not sure what the consensus is on that though. And they're specifying the Tropical and not the Heatwave, so I'm not sure if that in particular makes the comparison to Pentair different. He claimed the Pentair touch controller would manage the Aquacal heat pump, but I am looking for independent confirmation of that... Same with the SWG, he claimed that the AutoPilot system was again "better" in his experience than Pentair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.