Quarantine Christmas Pool Build - ATX - Intellicenter - System Reset?

NWS

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2020
TX
Hi all,

Complete pool newbie here, but super excited and have already learned so much from reading this forum. So after much research, we've found an extremely skilled pool designer and contractor that we feel confident in. We are extremely tight on impervious cover in Austin so we have plans for a fairly unique geometric shape that traces the lines of our home. No spa. A long, curved raised bond beam with sheer descent and two scuppers. And because of this forum, we're planning to go with SWG. In our small yard, we do have one large tree and there are lots of trees around our property. Anything else I should add? Would a heat pump with no spa be worth the cost? Number of lights/skimmers/returns good?

Here are the specs I just received from builder. I'll admit that I'm still not well-versed in the equipment (ex. I discussed automation with him but I don't see it listed separately, unless it's covered under something else?). I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this group can help me out! Appreciate any insights...

POOL
▪Dimensions 30’-3” x 20’
▪ Envelope 30’-3” x 20’
▪ Perimeter 86’– 3”
▪ Area 455 sf
▪ Depths 3’-6” to 5’-6”
▪ Volume 11,814 gallons
▪ Steps Per plan
▪ Bench(es) (1) @ 19- & (1) @ 12’ & (1) @ 10’
▪ Lights (2) Pentair niche-less LED
FEATURES
▪ Bubblers (1) One on sun shelf
▪ Sheers 1-3’ sheer decent waterfall on 24” raised beam & 2- 12” diamond sconce waterspout features on front of columns. Two columns at 18” tall w/sleeve for drainage and future irrigation access.
PERMITS/HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION
▪ Permits All Standard Fees and Inspections are Included as Required by
City/County/ Jurisdiction
▪ HOA Assistance with Required Plans and Forms; Fees for submittals by
Homeowners
SITE PREPARATION & EXCAVATION
▪ Property Access Left side of house
▪ Equipment Rock Excavation included with full size excavator
▪ Removal Bobcat Shuttle to run from excavation site to street
▪ Forming Out of the ground forming included-approx. 170 sq. ft
▪ Perimeter Beam 86’-3” linear feet 18” Into Grade
STEEL
▪ Steel #4 rebar at 10” on center both ways throughout
▪ Perimeter 4 bar beam
▪ Perimeter Beam Tied continuous through beam & skimmers, additional steel included

SHOTCRETE (pneumatically applied concrete)
▪ Design Strength Minimum 4,000 PSI at 28-days cure time.
▪ Method Dry-Mix Shotcrete (GUNITE) with water added at nozzle
▪ Thickness Walls and Floors: 8” minimum thickness and 12” thickness at top beam.
▪ Steps/Benches per plan

PLUMBING & ELECTRICAL
▪ Pipe type Schedule 40 PVC – rigid
▪ Pool Pipe Size 2” suction with 2” return
▪ Second lines 2” suction and 1 ½” returns to water features.
▪ Drains Dual VGBA compliant drain covers minimum 3’ apart installed to
meet or exceed code requirements.
▪ Skimmers (2) CMP pool defender water bond skimmers
▪ Returns (4) 1.5” pool returns on 2” loop
▪ Electric Bonding Equipotential bonding per code, including water bond for safety
▪ Electric Utilities 30 linear ft. included, run in conduit bolted to foundation
TILE & COPING
▪ Tile 6” Perimeter tile with $10.00/sf material allowance
▪ Coping Lueder Stone
▪ Raised Beams Ledger stone faced w/10.00sq ft allowance. Rear to be underpinned. Sizes are 2 – 24” x 24” columns at 18” T, 1- raised beam 9’ 6” at 24” and raised beams each end at 12” totaling 18’.
INTERIOR FINISH
▪ Choice of Pebble Sheen (smaller pebbles) or Pebble Tec (larger pebbles)
▪ Colors Included: Price Group 1: ▪ Pebble Sheen: Aqua blue, Blue Granite, Bordeaux, Desert Gold, French grey, Irish Mist, White diamonds
▪ Pebble Tec: Blue Lagoon, Caribbean Blue, Crème de Menth, Moonlight Grey, Sandy Beach, Soft White, Tahoe Blue, White Pearl

MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT
▪ Pump Pentair Variable Speed
▪ Debris Removal Polaris TR28P with Booster Pump
▪ Filtration Pentair 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter
▪ Pool Light(s) (2) Pentair niche-less RGBW color changing low voltage light
▪ Sanitation CMP Power Clean Ultra Inline Chlorinator
▪ Sanitation Pentair I-Chlor & Intelli PH acid pump
▪ Maintenance Test Kit, Brush, Pole, Net & Vacuum
▪ Equipment Pad 3’ X 9” not more than 30’ from pool on gravel compacted base w/edging and support pads.
CONTROL SYSTEM
▪ Time clock-controlled w/freeze protection
▪ Subpanel

WARRANTIES
▪ Pool Structure Lifetime Warranty
▪ Plumbing & Tile Two (2) year Warranty
▪ Pentair Equipment Pentair Products: Three (3) year extended warranty
▪ Other Equipment Manufacturer’s Warranties
▪ Pool Interior Plaster – Ten (10) year product warranty

I and welcome to TFP! Thanks for letting us spend your money! FUN times for all!!

Do you have a drawing of your pool? How about a pic of where this pool will be going?

Debris Removal Polaris TR28P with Booster Pump
This is like buying a rotary phone. What you need/want is a robot cleaner. They do a much better job! The kind you have listed has to have a pump running to make it work :( This is going to cost you more in the long run.

Equipment Pad 3’ X 9” not more than 30’ from pool on gravel compacted base w/edging and support pads.
There needs to be concrete poured for the pad. Not just gravel compacted base and "support pads". The "support pads" are mostly made of plastic that do not last long in the sun and such.

Reactions: NWS
NWS

Pump Pentair Variable Speed.......................... Not enough detail.. A SuperFlo VS will not work with automation.. You need to make sure this is an IntelliFlo VS.
▪ Debris Removal Polaris TR28P with Booster Pump......... As Kim says.. This is 70's tech, you want a low voltage robot that you buy yourself..
▪ Filtration Pentair 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter......................... Looks good
▪ Pool Light(s) (2) Pentair niche-less RGBW color changing low voltage light... No input...
▪ Sanitation CMP Power Clean Ultra Inline Chlorinator...... Not needed if you have a SWCG..
▪ Sanitation Pentair I-Chlor & Intelli PH acid pump.... I would not add the iph unless you really need it.. It will interfere with the operation of the SWCG.. Add later "if" needed. (I would get an IC40 instead of i-Chlor..
▪ Maintenance Test Kit, Brush, Pole, Net & Vacuum... Guaranteed to be complete junk... :mrgreen:
▪ Equipment Pad 3’ X 9” not more than 30’ from pool on gravel compacted base w/edging and support pads.... I also would want a gunite equipment pad..
CONTROL SYSTEM
▪ Time clock-controlled w/freeze protection....... Not needed if you get automation.. Just cost $$$
▪ Subpanel... Not needed if you get automation..

You only build your pool once and it costs a fortune.. Do you really want to go out and cry every time you use it?? If you buy an automation system you will only have to cry once when you pay for it.. After that, it is all smiles.. :)

An automation system will allow you to turn on things with your PC, tablet or phone.. Like your lights, bubblers, gives you an internal SWCG power supply, a sub panel for all your breakers, control over your pump speeds, control over your SWCG, etc. I have a very simple pool and you would have to pry my automation system out of my cold dead hands...

All this needs to be ironed out before the pool is built so that the pool does what you want...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWS and kimkats
I and welcome to TFP! Thanks for letting us spend your money! FUN times for all!!

Do you have a drawing of your pool? How about a pic of where this pool will be going?

This is like buying a rotary phone. What you need/want is a robot cleaner. They do a much better job! The kind you have listed has to have a pump running to make it work :( This is going to cost you more in the long run.

There needs to be concrete poured for the pad. Not just gravel compacted base and "support pads". The "support pads" are mostly made of plastic that do not last long in the sun and such.

Terrific - thank you, KimKats. (btw, I've been following your posts and excited that I'm now the recipient of your awesome advice!) I was concerned about the gravel pad, too. This is due to impervious cover. We are really cutting it close. I'll see if there are any other options that would be more substantial without having to pour actual concrete. And I think I saw the recommendation in other posts just to buy a robot cleaner on my own? Is there any need to have the builder do anything to prep for it?

NWS

Pump Pentair Variable Speed.......................... Not enough detail.. A SuperFlo VS will not work with automation.. You need to make sure this is an IntelliFlo VS.
▪ Debris Removal Polaris TR28P with Booster Pump......... As Kim says.. This is 70's tech, you want a low voltage robot that you buy yourself..
▪ Filtration Pentair 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter......................... Looks good
▪ Pool Light(s) (2) Pentair niche-less RGBW color changing low voltage light... No input...
▪ Sanitation CMP Power Clean Ultra Inline Chlorinator...... Not needed if you have a SWCG..
▪ Sanitation Pentair I-Chlor & Intelli PH acid pump.... I would not add the iph unless you really need it.. It will interfere with the operation of the SWCG.. Add later "if" needed. (I would get an IC40 instead of i-Chlor..
▪ Maintenance Test Kit, Brush, Pole, Net & Vacuum... Guaranteed to be complete junk... :mrgreen:
▪ Equipment Pad 3’ X 9” not more than 30’ from pool on gravel compacted base w/edging and support pads.... I also would want a gunite equipment pad..
CONTROL SYSTEM
▪ Time clock-controlled w/freeze protection....... Not needed if you get automation.. Just cost $$$
▪ Subpanel... Not needed if you get automation..

You only build your pool once and it costs a fortune.. Do you really want to go out and cry every time you use it?? If you buy an automation system you will only have to cry once when you pay for it.. After that, it is all smiles.. :)

An automation system will allow you to turn on things with your PC, tablet or phone.. Like your lights, bubblers, gives you an internal SWCG power supply, a sub panel for all your breakers, control over your pump speeds, control over your SWCG, etc. I have a very simple pool and you would have to pry my automation system out of my cold dead hands...

All this needs to be ironed out before the pool is built so that the pool does what you want...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Awesome! I'm sure you guys get tired of answering the same questions, but this is so helpful to those of us new to this world. Thanks, Jim.

OH NO so you know all of my tricks LOL

I was concerned about the gravel pad, too. This is due to impervious cover.
Rock and hard place then................hummmmmmm will have to think on this one!

robot cleaner on my own? Is there any need to have the builder do anything to prep for it?
You will need a GFCI outlet 6' from the pool for the robot. You can also put a USB charging plug there as well if wanted.

Kim:kim:

• Haha
OH NO so you know all of my tricks LOL

Rock and hard place then................hummmmmmm will have to think on this one!

You will need a GFCI outlet 6' from the pool for the robot. You can also put a USB charging plug there as well if wanted.

I'm researching the possibility of using permeable concrete for the equipment pad...has anyone had any experience with that?

Here's a picture of my permeable pad. The filter is raised up so it's easier to get to the back drain. The pump is raised up so it's not down so low (haha). I remove my pump each fall so it's better higher. But the point is, a stone/gravel pad can be fine so long as their is something firm supporting the individual items. Those blocks can certainly be permeable pavers of some type. As to why it was done this way versus concrete? Probably my builders approach or his disorganization, and possibly because it was adjacent to the pool deck and the pipes needed to come up outside of concrete (thankfully) so they left it all exposed so to speak.

Reactions: Brandon1023
Here's a picture of my permeable pad. The filter is raised up so it's easier to get to the back drain. The pump is raised up so it's not down so low (haha). I remove my pump each fall so it's better higher. But the point is, a stone/gravel pad can be fine so long as their is something firm supporting the individual items. Those blocks can certainly be permeable pavers of some type. As to why it was done this way versus concrete? Probably my builders approach or his disorganization, and possibly because it was adjacent to the pool deck and the pipes needed to come up outside of concrete (thankfully) so they left it all exposed so to speak.

This is so helpful, @bmoreswim . thank you! Here is what my builder said regarding his process:

"It starts out excavated and a coreten edging installed then filled with compacted road base then once close to proper elevations we install heavy duty pads to support heavy equipment which the filter is one & pumps not so much. Then gravel topped thus making it a good sound surface."

The picture of your setup gives me hope (if my builder would do something as solid). Appreciate it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agreed. That sounds good. My base was virgin soil with grey rock around the pipes then 4" or so of pretty rock. Have him top it with the material you would like to look at. Gravel is generally not pretty, though it can match some color schemes. Pick something that goes will with your surroundings for the top surface.

Not sure if it's best to start a new thread or ask all of my questions within this thread, but does anyone have experience with installing massage jets over a bench? We won't have a spa, but I thought this could be a happy compromise, if they actually work? I'm thinking of just being able to sit in front of 1 or 2 on the bench and feel it on the back. Awesome idea or gimmick??

Keep it all here. It provides easy reference back to all issues in one place. One of our returns in on a bench. It feels nice. Not a lot of power on low RPM's but it noticeable.

After much researching, questioning, permitting, and waiting, we are finally on our way! I've enjoyed reading and learned so much from all of your pool builds..I'm excited to share our own! We started digging at 11:27 am today and hit rock at 12:56...ha! at least we're prepared for that in Austin.IMG-6196.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
Haha, the pool gods didn't want to disappoint. Congrats on the big milestone today!!

I see I forgot to share my spa jet link: ParaJets Massage Therapy Spa Jets - Paramount Pool & Spa Systems I don't see why you could not use these on your bench!!

Sigh on the rock................at least you knew it might (will) be there and had your wallet ready.

Oh and let the dirt/mub begin!!!

Thanks @kimkats ! We did decide to add some jets to our benches so I will definitely check these out. And you're right about the mud -- thunderstorms this morning :cool:

Reactions: kimkats
Dig finished and forms installed yesterday. We have a unique pool shape, due to some serious impervious cover issues in Austin, but I love how our designer played off of the curves of our home. Raised wall will be: two 12" outer wings, two 18" columns, and 24" wall in the middle. Water features include a 36" sheer descent in center and two water sconces on the columns.IMG_6210.jpgIMG_6214.jpg

Last edited:
Check to see how they plan to plumb the water features. I saw you had 1.5" pipe spec'd. You want an independent line to each sheer to control flow otherwise they wont all be even. If you have a 3ft sheer as I thought I saw that takes a 2" line to it by itself.

Check to see how they plan to plumb the water features. I saw you had 1.5" pipe spec'd. You want an independent line to each sheer to control flow otherwise they wont all be even. If you have a 3ft sheer as I thought I saw that takes a 2" line to it by itself.
@jimmythegreek I will check - it's one 36" sheer and two water sconces. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.