Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I will open in around 2 weeks or so we are still getting freezes at night. I am thinking I should remove the safety looplock cover now so I can start cleaning out the pool. There are a TON of leaves in it! When the wind blows here it is like a gale it lifts the cover and leaves blow under it.

So question is, does the cover do anything at all accept provide a safety net for children? I have a fence entirely around the pool for that so if so, I think I will remove it and start cleaning out the water. It is a PITA to do my testing now too as I have to remove like 10 of the tie-downs to get to the water. I'm not turning on any pumps or removing any plugs just want to take off the cover. Also it is going to be really warm here this week (70s) so it is a nice time to do this.

Go for it! Since you have safety with the fence, no problems there. Make your life easier especially since you'll enjoy seeing water over cover.

Some folks never cover the pool knowing they'll have to scoop leaves anyway. I have an autocover and we even get lone leaves that sneak in. Fact of life <sigh>

Maddie :flower:

Nothing really to speak of. The water will warm up quicker without the safety cover on. Which, if your weren’t paying attention, could get your to 60 degrees and in danger of an algae outbreak. But I’m pretty comfortable you will be starting up your pool before that is an issue.

That said, I’d take a different approach. Take the cover off in two weeks. Net some leaves if you like then throw your robot it for a few cycles. Done.

I will open in around 2 weeks or so we are still getting freezes at night. I am thinking I should remove the safety looplock cover now so I can start cleaning out the pool. There are a TON of leaves in it! When the wind blows here it is like a gale it lifts the cover and leaves blow under it.

So question is, does the cover do anything at all accept provide a safety net for children? I have a fence entirely around the pool for that so if so, I think I will remove it and start cleaning out the water. It is a PITA to do my testing now too as I have to remove like 10 of the tie-downs to get to the water. I'm not turning on any pumps or removing any plugs just want to take off the cover. Also it is going to be really warm here this week (70s) so it is a nice time to do this.

If memory serves you purchased the “standard” mesh material, not the UV block fabric?

If so yank that baby off & fire up the system, let’s get summer rolling!

If memory serves you purchased the “standard” mesh material, not the UV block fabric?

If so yank that baby off & fire up the system, let’s get summer rolling!

I actually have no clue about the UV protection. I was asked, "You want a safety cover for the winter, right?".

Anyway I just went out and took the cover off of each end to check out the water condition. Water was actually really clear all the way to the bottom (9 feet). Lots of leaves I took out all I could get probably 80%. Pool had a fair amount of "dirt" on the bottom I assume from the leaves and blowing winds. I didn't check the chlorine but added a gallon and threw in my sump pump to circulate the water while I was cleaning the leaves. Water temp is right at 48 degrees so I am inclined to take the cover off this weekend. I want to purchase and cut the bubblewrap top soon. I know I will need more CYA, salt and acid. I already got 4 gallons of acid and around 16lbs of CYA from last year. Hopefully I have enough salt but that one is easy. I'll do a full testing battery this weekend.

I'm starting to get excited for the opening!

Oh btw I am getting married 5/12 and have been told the pool WILL be open and WILL be swimmable and warm! Wedding/reception is at the house.

"Warm" is a relative condition. (Not necessarily an in-law condition....) Unless your cya and salt was low when you closed or you got several feet of snow and rain thos winter, why would they have changed. Just opened mine and all was fine.

"Warm" is a relative condition. (Not necessarily an in-law condition....) Unless your cya and salt was low when you closed or you got several feet of snow and rain thos winter, why would they have changed. Just opened mine and all was fine.

Warm = the heater is on

I tested the CYA 2 months ago and it was 1/2 what it was when I closed (45 to 20). 10% of the water was drained as well so it'll need a little salt. I'm expecting a fairly easy open though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.