Corpus Christi
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30
Two days post SLAM process, It worked great, pool is clear.
My Test results with Taylor 2005 and FAS-DPD
5 FC
0.5 or less CC
7.6 PH
100 TA
300 CH
40 CYA
79 degrees test water
0.05 csi

My wife also took and tested water at pool store.
There results were similar
except they put CA at 170

So to my call for help. I have read through a few different SWG installs, seems like everyone does it a little different

Here is my proposed game plan. Please feel free to correct any mistakes I might make. I'm planning to install the SWG today but continuing to sanitize with bleach and not turn it on until I Increase the CYA levels and dissolve the salt. Of course I forgot to ask my wife to get the saltwater test strips yesterday so I'm not putting the salt in just yet. Circupool RJ 30. Manual says to dissolve salt then start install. Curious if I can do it this way? Also, I am just plugging it in to the same outlet my pool pump plugs into. I am assuming its a 110 outlet if its a standard three prong outdoor outlet. Am I assuming correctly. That will require me to adjust the SWG jumper wires.

Steps

1: Vacuum entire pool
2: Turn of Pump
3. Close return valve
4. Open filter valve to release pressure then drain plug to drain water
5. cut chlorinator out, wish they just used screw fittings
6. Test fit pvc fittings, purchased the vertical install kit from discount salt pools
7. Glue in pvc, flow switch, and SWG.
8. Mount control panel to side of house
9. Close filter drain plug
10. Open pump cover and fill with water and close
11. Open return valve
12. Turn on Pump
13. Let water spray out of air valve
14. Close Valve
15. Let kids swim if Chlorine has come into safe levels
16. Test water for current salt PPM, CYA, and FC
17. Run pump, increase cya with filter sock,Brush sides
18. Continue running pump, add salt and brush to dissolve, use salt test strips for test
19. Can I use low speed for the 24 hours of dissolving time?
20. Program SWG to take over sanitizing from there.
21. Drink a cold Beer!!

It is best if you use the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test rather then salt test strips. The K-1766 is much more accurate and reliable.

Test you pool water before adding any salt and you may find you already have a significant salt level. You don't want to exceed the recommended salt level as to lower the salt will require draining water from the pool.

You can add the salt at anytime once you know how much to add. Before or after you install the cell.

The SWG is dual voltage so check what voltage it comes set for and adjust it if necessary.

The SWG should be connected to a timer to ensure the SWG is only powered when the pump is running unless you always run your pump 24/7. The flow switch should be a secondary safety device.

It is best if you use the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test rather then salt test strips. The K-1766 is much more accurate and reliable.

Test you pool water before adding any salt and you may find you already have a significant salt level. You don't want to exceed the recommended salt level as to lower the salt will require draining water from the pool.

You can add the salt at anytime once you know how much to add. Before or after you install the cell.

The SWG is dual voltage so check what voltage it comes set for and adjust it if necessary.

The SWG should be connected to a timer to ensure the SWG is only powered when the pump is running unless you always run your pump 24/7. The flow switch should be a secondary safety device.
OK Great info, thank you. I am using a smart timer from Kasa for the pump. I will plug the swg into it as well. I can set them to both have the same runtime. Hopefully it will handle the additional voltage. If not I'll just get another one. It really works great as the original pool install is not hardwired anywhere. Ill look for the test kit, hopefully the small local supply store has one. Have a great afternoon

Thanks for the link to order the test kit, just noticed that part

Hopefully it will handle the additional voltage.

Amperage, not voltage. Voltage is constant. Amps drawn changes with load.

If the Kasa plugged into a GFCI outlet?

I am suprised you can run a 2HP pump on 120V plugged into an outlet.

Amperage, not voltage. Voltage is constant. Amps drawn changes with load.

If the Kasa plugged into a GFCI outlet?

I am suprised you can run a 2HP pump on 120V plugged into an outlet.
Thank you for the clarification. Yes GFCI. As I Understand it if it was a 240v then the Kasa plug wouldn't work. But as you can tell my electrical knowledge is open for extensive learning

Care to post pics of the pump and motor data plate and the Kasa and outlet plug?

If you have your SWG in place- Keep it turned OFF the day you add large amounts of salt. Brush it all well and let it mix in and dissolve well for the day and then turn the SWG the next day.

I only recommend the salt test that uses drop reagents. I never could get strips to work right.

Maddie ⛳ Its here! The Masters week is here!! :party:

Reactions: Blockparty1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm also curious about the answer to this question. I just added salt to my pool.
Depends how low speed.

I would use a medium speed. You need some water turnover to get the salt mixed.

Reactions: MITBeta

Attachments

• C6F1BFE1-0E0A-490F-93BC-BA5E5C04635B.jpeg
    C6F1BFE1-0E0A-490F-93BC-BA5E5C04635B.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 17
  • C9D9FC9C-9B8C-4C14-8EE5-0A538C234C3A.jpeg
    C9D9FC9C-9B8C-4C14-8EE5-0A538C234C3A.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 14
  • B00E1220-02D0-4C2C-B389-969D28433FC9.jpeg
    B00E1220-02D0-4C2C-B389-969D28433FC9.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 14
  • D2A10B1C-AED7-4A0B-AF44-96E78D1E47F0.jpeg
    D2A10B1C-AED7-4A0B-AF44-96E78D1E47F0.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 0933C517-66E7-433F-A495-3C4A7E7A43B7.png
    0933C517-66E7-433F-A495-3C4A7E7A43B7.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 17
  • D9F57FC4-9F0D-401F-BE79-F27862373593.png
    D9F57FC4-9F0D-401F-BE79-F27862373593.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 18
You have a pump that can pull 13.3 amps.

Is it plugged into a 15 amp circuit or 20 amp circuit?

NEC says a circuit should not be loaded more then 80% of it's rated capacity of 12 amps for a 15 amp circuit or 16 amps for a 20 amp circuit.

The SWG will add a few amps if connected to the same circuit as the pump.

You have a pump that can pull 13.3 amps.

Is it plugged into a 15 amp circuit or 20 amp circuit?

NEC says a circuit should not be loaded more then 80% of it's rated capacity of 12 amps for a 15 amp circuit or 16 amps for a 20 amp circuit.

The SWG will add a few amps if connected to the same circuit as the pump.
Its on a 20 amp circuit. Thank you for pointing this out so I would check it first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.